Friday, May 31, 2019

Sometimes I feel like I'm repaying my wife for the investment she made in me years ago

I'll preface this by saying that my weight loss journey was never about physical attractiveness (mostly about health and mental well being) and my relationship with my wife isn't based around looks. Wanted to get that out of the way before I start talking about...physical attractiveness/looks among other things.

My wife and I started dating back in 2005 when we were both teenagers, we're in our early 30's now. We've been married since August of 2009, so we're coming up on almost 10 years of marriage. She's my best friend, the mother of my children, she's everything to me.

I've always been on the chubby side, but I wasn't near the size I would get up to when we first met. Still, though I know it's not all about looks, even when we first met I felt like I was out of my league. My wife hates when I say that, and I understand that sentiment, but I still felt like people would ask themselves, 'Why is he with her?' when we were out and about. Whether that happened or not, I don't know, but I was always self conscious about it. It only got worse (in my own head) as time went on and I started putting on weight.

Fast forward to our wedding and, though I didn't realize it at the time, I had put on a significant amount of weight and would reach my peak weight that year and the few years following. The relationship my wife and I had built, it didn't matter that I was bigger, but I always felt guilty that I couldn't be a more attractive and appealing spouse. Again, these are my words, not hers. In fact, she was always propping me up when I was down on myself, when I put something on that no longer fit, when the number on the scale went up.

All of this to say, our marriage has been awesome and now that I've dropped all this weight (90 pounds from my peak, 50 pounds since last year alone), I feel like I'm repaying her for all of those years that she loved me for who I was/am and saw past the fact that I was going up in weight and in clothes sizes. She never made me feel bad about it, she never cared, and I feel fortunate about that. When I set out on my weight loss journey, she was my biggest supporter, she was there at the finish line when I completed my first half marathon 4 weeks ago, she always championed me every step of the way.

I feel better about myself overall and there are a few other, ahem, benefits that come with being in better shape and more attractive to your spouse (I'll keep those to myself but...you know).

We all have our reasons for setting out on this journey and I'll be honest, though this wasn't at the top of my list (because I wasn't sure it would even happen), it's been a fantastic and welcome byproduct. There aren't many places I can share this 'testimonial' (outside of letting my wife know, which I have done of course) but I felt this was a safe place to do so. Thanks for letting me share.

submitted by /u/TheRyanExpress86
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2XiOPFd

No comments:

Post a Comment