Tuesday, May 28, 2019

You don't have to change everything in your life all at once. You don't have to become perfect tomorrow.

This is my first post here, although I've commented many times in the daily and weekly threads. I'm 23, female, 5'6", and went from 200lbs to under 150lbs (my goal weight) in 8 months, from September 2018 to May 2019. I reached my goal weight a little over a week ago and I've been wanting to post about it, but I wanted to make sure I actually had something useful to say before I did.

I've done a lot of thinking on my weight loss journey, trying to figure out what kept me from making positive life changes much sooner than I did. I've realized that what held me back was simple: I was overwhelmed. I saw where I was (drinking multiple cans of soda per day, not paying attention to what I ate, never exercising, taking poor care of myself physically AND mentally) and I saw where I wanted to be (eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, and constantly working to improve myself inside and out), and there was such a vast difference between the two. I never thought I'd get from Point A to Point B.

Since then, I've learned, well, you can read it in the title: I didn't have to change everything in my life all at once. I couldn't become a perfect version of myself overnight. I made changes one at a time, and it didn't even start with weight loss. It started with my teeth. My dental health was deteriorating, probably from all the soda I was drinking. I had such a negative self-image that I literally thought I was too lazy and lacked the willpower to properly brush and floss my teeth. I thought THAT would be too much for me. When it turned out I was wrong, I wondered, what else could I be wrong about? What other positive changes could I make?

My progress went something like this:

  • Started taking care of my teeth, brushing twice a day and flossing daily
  • Gradually reduced my soda intake from multiple cans per day to less than once a week
  • Started working out a few times per week, super basic stuff, a bit of light cardio and strength training
  • Downloaded MFP and started counting calories, gradually reducing my intake to 1,200cal/day
  • Started paying attention to more than just calories, getting enough protein and not eating too much sugar
  • Switched up my workout routine to something a little less lazy, involving more muscle groups

Each one of those steps was difficult at first. When I reduced my soda intake, I had a nonstop headache for 2 straight weeks. When I reduced my calorie intake, I felt constantly hungry, again for 2 straight weeks. Every time I worked out a new muscle group, I was unbelievably sore for days. But after each change, I adjusted, and it wasn't overwhelming because I only changed one thing at a time. I've gotten my dental health under control, and working out regularly has done wonders for my mental health. I also feel, overall, more energized and more empowered. It's a huge self-esteem boost to finally feel like I'm in control of my body and, at least to some degree, my life.

Oh, and I lost 50lbs. Which I still can't believe. But somehow, that number has ended up seeming much less important than all the other changes.

Now that I've reached my goal, I've transitioned into a maintenance-focused approach. I still count calories and I exercise just as much as I used to. But, because I've sort of gotten the hang of the whole process, I can turn my attention to improving other areas of my life. I have a whole list of goals that would have once seemed impossible to achieve. Now I know better. It may take time, but with gradual, steady progress, I'll get where I want to be.

And I wouldn't be here without this subreddit. I don't usually feel comfortable discussing the details of my weight loss to anyone in real life, because none of those people are going through it. Everyone here understands and has firsthand experience with what it's like to try to lose weight in a sustainable way. The support, inspiration, motivation, and camaraderie has been so valuable to me. Thanks, everyone!

submitted by /u/rotasha
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2I7dw13

No comments:

Post a Comment