Monday, November 25, 2019

Backseat Dieters

Hi everyone,

M25, SW: 320, CW: 248, GW: under 200

First off, I wanted to thank everyone for the support they showed on my last post (a progress picture of my old belt and new belt). Everyone was very kind and helpful. It was good to feel validated by you all, so thank you.

I’ve commented on this and other subreddits before about how friends/family react to weight loss and how challenging it can be to make a huge life change while also navigating how it changes your relationships with people you love. It’s gotten a bit odd with my Dad and his wife in this regard.

About 15 years ago, my dad got on a health kick: he quit smoking, he started eating better, and he got the Gastric Lap-Band surgery to help him lose weight. He ate a lot of salad and plain oatmeal, which he didn’t enjoy doing, but he did it all anyway. He lost about 30-40 pounds, and he was feeling great.

Fast forward a decade, and he’s gained a lot of the weight back. Him and his wife have been trying every weird diet under the sun over the last few years to try and lose weight together. They’ve gone low-carb a few times, they’ve cut out red meat, then they tried eating more meat instead for a high-protein diet, then a completely sugar-free diet, etc. etc. it’s mostly been harmless - they do their own thing. For every new diet they try, they go up and down the same 5 or 10 pounds.

Well, over the last 4-5 months, I’ve lost over 70 pounds without any of the weird diet gimmicks. They’ve noticed the weight loss and asked what I was doing, so I told them. I keep my calories at about 1200 (give or take), and I spend about 2.5-3 hours in the gym 6 days a week (give or take). I explained that I still get to eat whatever I want, so long as it comes in under the calorie limit for the day. They seemed to disagree at this point and tried to tell me that eating the same foods wouldn’t work (even if the portion was smaller). They singled out white rice (of all things??) as the worst food to eat because it’s nothing but empty calories and it will make me bloated and stay overweight. They said that, if I actually wanted to lose weight, I’d eat Quinoa or Farro seeds or something. In the past, they’ve had similar comments about how I should stop drinking caffeinated coffee if I want to lose weight or how I should buy egg-beaters instead of using regular eggs. Etc etc etc. It all makes very little sense to me: what I’m doing is clearly working, whatever they’re doing isn’t. Later in the day, my dad brought up the conversation again and asked about my goal weight. I told him under 200, and he blatantly said that it would never happen and that, if I did get under 200, I would just look sick and emaciated. Altogether, it was a strange interaction.

Any experiences you could share about how to handle people who love giving out free bad advice?

submitted by /u/Zagnaros94
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2XM5bqH

No comments:

Post a Comment