Monday, November 11, 2019

Journaling As An Alternative

I wanted to throw my experience out in case anyone else is struggling the way I am.

I've spent the last few years yo-yo dieting. Lost 35 pounds in high school, gained 35 in undergrad plus another 50 during grad school, and have been consistently losing and regaining the next 15 over the last 5 years. My doc recommended MyFitnessPal and counting calories, which I started immediately. But this is where we learned that I didn't "grow out of" the ADHD I was diagnosed with as a kid like I thought I had. I became hyperfocused on hitting my goals daily. I bought a food scale, I measured everything, I panicked when eating at local restaurants. I spiraled. Lost a lot of weight, but was far from healthy. It became an obsession. I needed to hit my numbers perfectly.

My last visit, she recommended journaling about my food. I went out and bought myself a pretty new notebook, and began logging. The time, what I was eating, and why I was eating- before, during and after.

My beginning days were full of notes like "11am, chips, finished bag, not necessarily hungry but it's not worth getting up to put back in pantry". It's fascinating to see it morph into "2pm, chips, realized I'm just eating because I'm PMSing, had a handful and put the bag back" over the past few months.

As of this morning, I'm down 20 pounds! I know MFP is touted as a holy grail for weight loss, and I agree it's great and wish it worked better for me, but I've been coming to the conclusion that weight loss isn't a one size fits all experience. I'm not a doctor, but if anyone else is struggling, I do recommend switching your methods up for a month or two just to see how it works for you.

submitted by /u/bootless_cat
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2K6ZHBm

No comments:

Post a Comment