Friday, October 16, 2020

My own weight-loss model / a visual representation of different calorie intakes

This post was inspired by u/Sacyro's post earlier on his/her weight loss projection model. I'll share my spreadsheet if there's interest for it, but here's some pictures and comments from my own model. I shared it in a comment on his/her post, but the data and graphs were in Norwegian, so I've changed the pictures to English. BUT: the weight is still in kilograms, height is in centimetres and date format is DAY/MONTH as is the standard in Norway. I haven't used the graph the last few months, I stopped tracking weight and calories when 'rona happened, that's why there's missing weigh-ins. I'm not tracking calories at the moment, but I've started tracking weight again though.

I made this model because I like working with Excel and I personally find the graphs more motivating than just knowing I lost half a kilo the last two weeks. Sacyro's model is more comprehensive than my model, as his/hers contains the calculations in the spreadsheet. My numbers (starting weight, sedentary activity levels, expected calorie intake) were shamelessly plugged into losertown.org's weight-loss calculator and copied over to Excel. I used the data to make a visual representation (PICTURE 1) of the weight-loss and expected goal weight date at different calorie intakes (1200-, 1300- and 1400 kcal).

I wanted a flexible diet so that I didn't have to eat 1200 kcal daily, but I still wanted to see how it affected my diet to eat in a calorie range than the constant 1200 kcal. It gives me the freedom to eat less during the week, and indulge a little in the weekends to catch up on the calories. As long as the weekly average was above 1200 and below calories needed to maintain weight, I was content.

HERE'S MY MODEL. Imgur is being a lil' bitch and not letting me add descriptions to the pictures, so here goes:

PICTURE 1: Projected weight-loss at different calorie intakes + tracked weight. The trendline isn't correct anymore, as there's too many values missing.

PICTURE 2: Daily calorie intake over a 7-day period, with calorie limit line and average calorie intake. I put in expected calorie intake for the next week on Sundays/during Monday. As the weekdays pass and correct calorie intake is filled in instead of the expected number, the graph modifies itself.

PICTURE 3: Data tab. I only input data in the yellow cells (some of the tracked weight cells are supposed to be green, since the date has already happened). I tracked measurements at regular intervals, weight (picture 1) was tracked weekly and calorie intake (picture 2) was tracked daily. Before the week starting, I put in expected calorie intake on each day. I eat mostly the same on weekdays, so it was easy to predict. This let me have some freedom in the weekends. As you can see, the last time I used the graph I expected to eat 1600 kcal on Saturday and 1300 kcal on Sunday, the correct numbers hadn't been input yet.

The charts are dynamic. Everytime I filled in data, the charts modify itself to the data. In picture 1, the tracked weight is just filled in, but the trendline changes as I track more weight. If I didn't adhere to the calorie intake, the increasing weight data would result in a flatter/upwards trendline, which is no bueno. Additionally, the trendline also shows how little it matters in the long run if I didn't report weight-loss that week. In picture 2, I put in expected calorie intake and filled in correct numbers as the days passed. That meant that the green line (average weekly intake) changed upwards and downwards depending on the numbers fed in. The red line is a guiding line, which shows me how many calories I need to maintain weight. As long as the green line was below the red line, weightloss would happen. I'll probably add a new red guiding line for 1200 kcal, as a lower limit. As long as the green line doesn't exceed the top red line, I'll lose weight. As long as the green line doesn't dip below the bottom red line, I'm eating enough.

TL; DR: I like looking at weight-loss numbers visually.

submitted by /u/sw4ffles
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/34117Yq

No comments:

Post a Comment