Thursday, May 27, 2021

[Century Club] May 27, 2021 - Have you lost or need to lose 100 lbs or more? Here’s a thread just for you!

I have often welcomed those who have lost 100+ lbs (~ 50 kg , ~7 stone) to “the club” and joked that club meetings were on Thursdays. I recently suggested that we try out having a regular weekly thread to talk about issues that are particular to those who have lost 100+ lbs, those who are well on their way and those who are just at the beginning of a journey this big.

Welcome back to the Century Club! Each week I will provide a topic of the day that has been on my mind or inspired by previous posts. However you are free to talk about any topics you think might be relevant to current and prospective club members.

Previous Topics: Years! - Fun! - Rhythms - How strict? - Relationships - Loose Skin Redux - Multiple Centuries - April Fools! - What didn't work? - Milestones - Seasonal changes - Is it worth it? - Surprising Food Facts - Mistakes were made - Time to Vent - Relief Valves - Seeing Objectively - Tips you hate - Fear and Self-Loathing - Starting - 2020 recap


Activity

We haven't covered this particular aspect quite this explicitly in the Century Club in quite a while so here goes...

We should all be aware that BMR (determined largely by your body's size) and limiting calorie intake are by far the largest components of long term weight loss. It's far, far easier to not eat 100 kcal than it is to burn that same amount of calories via activity.

One way to place that in context is that even athletes whose job it is to do heavy workouts for hours a day will not usually double their calorie output through all of that effort. The largest multipliers in most TDEE calculators go to 1.9x BMR.

for the vast majority of us, basic daily activity will add 20% of our BMR and deliberate exercise may add another 20-40% on top of that. (Multipliers are 1.2 for sedentary, 1.375-1.55 for light and moderate exercise.)

I've gauged my own activity level to be just about "moderate activity" when I exercise 6 days out of 7 for about an hour a day. I've also estimated that activity was directly responsible for approximately 20% of my average weight loss throughout my journey. I planned a 1 lb/week loss based on diet alone and achieved an average weight loss rate of about 1.2 lbs/week because of activity and only eating back a portion of my activity calories.

This comes to mind for me as I hit a mini-milestone of sorts yesterday. A 14 day >10K step streak. That has been elusive while the weather was cold/wet and I usually take at least one day off a week, but I've been consistent about staying just a bit more active recently. I also hit a larger milestone of 1200 days of food logged in MFP. Guess which I credit more with my weight management successes?

So for me, activity plays several roles. 1) It help keeps me sane, there's something about a 45-60 minute run or walk that just helps settle my mind and that helps me focus on work and yes also what I eat 2) It lets me eat a bit more - on some days I probably eat slightly more calories than I did when I was fat.

Most of my activity calories burned are from running/walking/hiking. I don't particularly enjoy strength training, even though I know logically that building more muscle would help my performance and also help slightly increase my BMR.

Note that I'm categorizing it as activity rather than "exercise". My running is exercise, but when I take a walk to go to the dentist as I did yesterday, that's just activity and both serve a similar purpose.

So what about you Centurion? What's the role of activity for you? What do you do and why do you do it? How do you keep it sustainable/enjoyable/automatic....

submitted by /u/SmilingJaguar
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/34mqV0v

No comments:

Post a Comment