Monday, June 24, 2024

Will the hair grow back after eating normally (at maintenance or surplus)?

I [26M, 5'9"] lost A LOT of hair while dieting, and I'm scared that it's not coming back. Basically, I lost a little over 20 lbs. in 3.5 months over the fall (from 179 lbs. to 158 lbs.), gained about 11 lbs. over the winter (in large part due to holiday gorging), and then lost 9 lbs. again over the next 3 months. For reference, I was eating 1700-1900 calories per day, not counting cardio, then went on a binge week once during the fall weight loss period and once during the spring weight loss period. I noticed increased hair shedding (nothing shocking like hair falling out in clumps or onto the pillow - just more hair ending up in the shower/sink and on the floor than usual), particularly during the fall weight loss period, and I continued to lose hair when resuming the diet in the spring. My hair is noticeably thinner to both family and the hairdresser (not just me), and I think I lost probably a third (maybe even half) of my hair volume. I've been eating in a small surplus (for bulking/muscle gain) for about a month now (starting from 161 lbs.), and I can't tell if anything has improved or if I've ruined my hair permanently and put myself on the road to baldness. I'm starting to regret having dieted in the first place, and I'm wondering if I need to gain all the weight back in order to get my hair back (and if so, I'd rather gain the weight back), or if there's a way to save both, or if I'm just screwed at this point.

(Also, if it makes a difference to recommendations/interpretation here, I have very low natural testosterone levels and have been on prescription testosterone for several years now, and over the past year my blood testosterone levels had mysteriously spiked to double the male average despite injecting the same dose. After talking to my doctor, I've cut down the dose substantially in the last couple of months, but I don't know how long it takes to see any hair-related changes).

submitted by /u/captainschnarf
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/bBoVKxL

No comments:

Post a Comment