Sunday, January 27, 2019

How accurate is YOUR fitness tracker calorie burn based on your Lose It! calories in and weight change over time?

First things first, this is a question I am asking out of academic curiosity. And I understand that the reliability of data is dependent on a number of factors, likely the most significant of which is how accurately people are logging their calories in Lose It. Another big issue is that it doesn't account for rapid water/glycogen loss at the beginning of a very low carb diet. So there are a lot of limitations to this "study".

With that out of the way, I'd be interested to hear the following data from people who are willing to submit it:

  1. What fitness tracker is estimating your calories burned
  2. Average estimated calorie burn per day
  3. Average calorie intake per day in Lose It!
  4. Average weight change per day in lbs
  5. Total number of days of data included above

So for me, it would go like this:

  1. What fitness tracker is estimating your calories burned: Fitbit Charge 3
  2. Average estimated calorie burn per day: 3713
  3. Average calorie intake per day in Lose It!: 836\*
  4. Average weight change per day in lbs: -0.85
  5. Total number of days of data included above: 51

\I have been on a medically-supervised very low calorie diet*

Based on my data shown above:

Assuming pure fat mass (FM) loss (3500 kcal/lb), my expected average daily weight loss would be (836-3713)/3500, or 0.82 lbs, which would suggest that Fitbit was overestimating my calorie burn by ((0.85-0.82)/0.85)*100, or 3.5%.

Assuming 75% FM loss and 25% fat-free mass (FFM) loss (average 2719 kcal/lb), my expected average daily weight loss would be (836-3713)/2719, or 1.06lbs, which would suggest that Fitbit was overestimating my calorie burn by ((1.06-0.82)/0.85)*100, or 28.2%.

If I exclude my first week on the diet where I lost a lot of water/glycogen weight, I come up with 17.1% overestimation of calorie burn assuming pure FM loss vs 41.3% assuming 75% FM and 25% FFM loss (data not shown).

If anyone else is willing to submit the 5 data points above, I'd be happy to do the calculations for you. Most fitness trackers will answer Questions 2 + 3 for you. Question 4 can be calculated by dividing your total weight change by the number of days total between the starting and endings weight.

submitted by /u/amin4791
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2Rhidrt

No comments:

Post a Comment