Sunday, January 27, 2019

Weight Loss Journey

As long as I can remember I have always been a big person, tall (5’9”) and heavy. It wasn’t really a problem in high school, because while I wasn’t a size 2, I wasn’t a size 10, so I felt good in my skin. After high school, I went through a lot of depression. I started binge eating to cope with loss and other bad situations. I steadily gained about 10lbs a year.

Last March, I decided I didn’t need to wait for next January to do something about my weight. I had just weighed in at 240lbs. I felt huge, unhealthy, and unhappy. So I decided I wanted to lose weight and that the best way to do that was to start exercising regularly. I started going to the gym, alternating between cardio and weightlifting because I want to keep the weight off after I finally lose it.

For about six months I went to the gym 5 days a week for about an hour at a time. I felt like I was making so much progress, so I bought a scale. Unfortunately, after weighing myself I realized I wasn’t losing weight, but gaining weight. So I decided exercise, while good, wasn’t enough for me to really lose any weight, I needed to change how I ate too. So I started eating more vegetables and eating less fast food. (I should point out that three years before this I cut soda out of my diet to try and lose weight, but nothing changed.) Four months in, I am starting to see weight loss which is amazing. I ended up losing about 5lbs by changing my diet but I was still consuming too many calories.

So I talked to my doctor and asked her what I could do to try and lose weight faster and healthier. She told me I should try limiting my caloric intake to between 1200-1600 calories a day. That’s a big cut. I was really worried that I wouldn’t be able to do it, but I am determined to lose weight so right after Christmas I just put my foot down and started limiting my calories. And I just have to say that after about 4 weeks of eating less than 1600 calories a day, going to the gym 5-6 days a week, and trying to eat as healthy as possible, I have actually lost 4lbs. Which is huge for me because I have always felt like I will never lose weight. This little bit has motivated me so much. I really do believe I can do it now. My overall weight goal is to be 150-160 lbs. so I still have a ways to go, but I think I can make it.

The best part of all of this is that I feel better. I don’t get tired as easily, I love having actual muscle to flaunt, and I’m healthier. At the end of the day, “looking good” isn’t my goal. It took me a long time to get to that point, but I am finally doing this for me, my health, my future children’s health, and my overall happiness.

submitted by /u/snowsakura0813
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2UliyLS

No comments:

Post a Comment