Tuesday, February 26, 2019

I finally told my cp that I didn’t want to talk about weight loss, and it felt great.

I’ve been overweight my whole life. One of my earliest memories is my family calling me fat. Every doctor’s visit I’ve ever gone to involved “the talk.” “At 5’ 0” tall, you should be weighing closer to 100-120 lbs.”

I recently moved, and had to get a new PCP. I had come in at the recommendation of my therapist - I was suffering from severe depression after realizing I had just moved in with a complete stranger and not the man I thought I loved. Rather than talking about how I can barely get myself to put clothes on, the PCP focused on my weight. She’s older and ex-military - very coarse, it felt like I was being shamed because I gained so much weight over the past year (which was not an easy one). How the hell was I supposed to work out when I didn’t even want to get out of bed? I left in tears. Her “pep-talk” which basically said I had no one to blame but myself for my weight gain (yeah no freaking duh) completely ruled out the fact that LIFE FUCKING HAPPENS.

I’ve never had a healthy relationship with food, but over the past three months, with the help of you lovely people and MyFitnessPal, I’ve finally started to feel in control of my eating habits. I’ve been separating my emotions from my need to eat. I’ve taken up Jiu Jitsu, I walk more, I’m more conscious of what and when I’m eating. And I’ve lost 20 lbs since December. So when we went down the list during this visit, and got to my weight, I politely entertained the conversation until she said,

“The work that goes into losing weight has to come from you-”

I put my hand up to stop her, “If it’s alright, I don’t want to talk about it. I’ve been overweight my whole life-”

She raised her hands in surrender and said, “Okay! That’s okay!” And we moved on.

I’m taking control of my health, and if I ever need help, I know I can come to them. But I know that conversation would have done more harm than good at this stage.

So here’s to taking control of your health and the dialogue around your health.

Edit: spacing

submitted by /u/Aurora_Borealiz
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2SZD0FL

No comments:

Post a Comment