Tuesday, February 26, 2019

I gained 20 lbs :-(

Title says it all. Since Christmas, I've gained 20 pounds. I've essentially been eating whatever & whenever and had virtually no exercise. Of course, I've done this hundreds of times before, so it's not really a surprise that I've lapsed.

There are some important differences though, between now and all the other times I've fallen off the wagon.

  1. I only had 2 or 3 binges like I used to have before. Given that I used to do that almost daily, that's a major positive change.
  2. I haven't given up. Usually by now the ol' fat logic would kick in, I'd throw in the towel and eat myself to oblivion. Not this time. I stepped on the scale today, I logged everything yesterday and will again today.
  3. I'm not beating myself up over it. Well, not too much. I am being a bit forceful with myself. After all, I've made some bad decisions and I need to do better but it's more about correction than punishment. If I punish myself, I'll feel bad, then I'll eat to feel better, then I'll punish myself, and so on. So definitely not doing that!
  4. I'm treating it as a learning experience, which is advice I've given others when they stray. I learned that as my relationship with food normalizes over time, there is always risk. I can't get complacent and then talk myself into eating poorly. I learned that holidays can be dangerous and that if I allow myself a couple of days break from eating well, it could very well turn into months and a 20 pound gain. I also learned the value of exercise! Earlier I learned that exercising feels good but now I know just how bad not exercising feels.
  5. This might sound wonky, but it's *only* 20 pounds. I'm used to gaining a hundred pounds between weight loss efforts! I'll be able to recover from this fairly quickly and I'll be right as rain in no time.

Thanks for listening!

Edit: I updated my flair to reflect my current weight. It's important to be honest and not feel ashamed.

submitted by /u/Jaydamic
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2XlNSwa

No comments:

Post a Comment