Sunday, February 24, 2019

Treat yo self! Ideas for non-food rewards for mini-goals

My fiancée started losing weight before me and she came up with rewards for herself for every 10lbs lost, which I thought was a cool idea. Breaking it up into mini-goals makes the weight loss journey less daunting. I put together a list of rewards for myself too, focusing on things that would further my overall self-improvement health and beauty goals:

-20lbs: gym membership;
-35lbs: hair cut & color, invisible tooth aligners, tooth whitening treatment, new glasses;
-45lbs: facial, shopping spree at Sephora;
-55lbs: trip to San Diego;
-65lbs: new FitBit (Versa);
-75lbs: hair cut & color;
-85lbs: new bedding;
-95lbs: facial, tooth whitening treatment, mani pedi, wedding dress;
-100lbs: clothes shopping spree and victory post on r/progresspics

It started getting tricky to time the rewards just right so they lined up with when I attained each weight goal. Then I read a comment someone posted on r/loseit that suggested instead of rewarding the outcome (weight loss, which you can't control precisely due to natural fluctuations), you should reward yourself for staying on track with the things that are 100% in your control, like calorie tracking. Makes sense to me. So now I've switched to a monthly reward schedule to celebrate staying on track with my calories. And so far, it actually lines up pretty well with my scale milestones too, since I'm losing about 10lbs per month. I'm at -52lbs as of last Friday and I might make it to -55lbs before we leave for San Diego next weekend.

The healthy rewards are helping me reframe my "treat yo self" mentality away from food indulgence and instead towards actually treating myself well. I'm so focused on living better -- getting more sleep, eating healthier (not just to lose weight but to improve BP and cholesterol), straightening my one wonky bottom tooth that's been bugging me since i was a teenager (hence the invisible aligners). It's opening up a lot of possibilities for me, actively working to change these things that I had accepted and assumed would never change. I'm developing more respect and empathy for myself. Momentum is building.

I'm interested to hear if anyone else has experience with this strategy or more suggestions for rewards!

submitted by /u/1byteatatime
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2GLJ9Pk

No comments:

Post a Comment