Thursday, March 28, 2019

Influencers misrepresenting themselves

I guess I made a mistake by following some transformation and weight loss pages on instagram. I haven’t followed any new ones recently, in fact it has probably been 6 months or so since I followed the last one. Last week I gained two new followers, and out of curiosity I followed them back, as their pages were private. One it was fairly obvious from the beginning that she was an ItWorks consultant, as a fair amount of her posts were how the products “changed her life” with a little “dm me for more info” at the bottom of each post. Nothing too pushy, no unsolicited dms. The other one was more shady. Within a few hours of my follow, she sent me a message asking if I was on a weight loss journey as well. I sent back that I was and didn’t hear from her the rest of the day. She posts vlogs and snippets of her workouts, as well as little bits of her personal life. No obvious hashtags or warning signs that she was selling something. I continue to get a message every day asking for more details about my journey and goals, and I keep proving them because it looked like maybe she ran some kind of support group or something. Until the bomb tonight. She does Shakeology/Beach Body, and wants me to sign up. I felt a little betrayed. Now as I look back through our conversation, her side does seem a little scripted, but it also seems as though she might have edited them to fit me better. Maybe I should have seen the length between responses as a red flag, but I also know people have lives. I’m not on instagram all day. Maybe I’m just naive. Am I wrong in getting upset by this? I was honestly getting my hopes up that this “community” that she was describing existed without strings.

submitted by /u/DarknessInMotion
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2uzVBtf

No comments:

Post a Comment