Saturday, March 30, 2019

Since starting my weight loss two months ago I’ve lost 20 LB and while that’s a mere blip in the amount of weight I need to lose it has entirely changed my relationship with food

I started the OMAD (eat once a day) “diet” two months ago. I previously tried intermittent fasting and while I found it helpful, it didn’t fix everything because I felt like when I had the opportunity to eat after 16 hours it was a license to just chow down on whatever. When I started OMAD I wanted to course correct every problem I had while on intermittent fasting.

For one, I decided I was going to consume mostly veggies and limit meat intake and try to cut out dairy entirely. Not necessarily abstain from meat entirely, but not make it the focus of my meals or my main source of protein. Second, I was going to consume healthy fats such as nuts for the extra protein to help get me full. Third, I was going to research what calories I ate when eating out.

All of this has been paying off.

More than anything it has exposed my (and others’) relationship with food. I would often eat out but not just that, I’d also include the two other meals too. I’m guessing that by not counting calories while I eat out I would sometimes eat somewhere between 2500-3000 calories. My realization has been eye opening in how bad so many peoples relationship with food is. We, as Americans, eat so darn much. I deliver food for people and get to witness peoples bad food habits personally, as well as my own, which has allowed tremendous amount of introspection.

I just delivered pizza to a family of three and to be honest, while everyone is different, three people do not need to eat two large pizzas. You don’t need a big gulp drink. When you eat a fast food combo that’s like 1500 calories in all honesty that might be the only thing you should eat that day. This isn’t to say you shouldn’t eat pizza - one is fine, add a salad on top. Or that you should’t Drink soda - a small should be satisfactory. But more and more I see just how my myself and others have drowned in gluttonous excess. A lot of us, as a culture, eat far too much than we need. I apologize profusely if this sounds elitist or anything.

Through OMAD, I’ve learned what true hunger feels like. One time I went 28 hours without eating. I was really, really hungry but I could also push it aside and control it. I’ve seen a lot of people that do OMAD that think it’s an excuse to eat a mountain of food and while preferences are preferences, I think this does nothing to change one’s overall relationship with food.

I’ve found that a lot of diets factor into this unhealthy relationship with food - OMAD included - and that they seem to be about total abstaining or going full on. Meanwhile countries like Japan still have access to fast food joints and eat there, but still manage to remain thin. There’s other factors of course such as the fact that we drive a lot in America, companies put tons of preservatives and sugar in our food and drink, but ultimately it lies with us and something about the way we Americans consume our food in the past few decades is just broken.

TLDR: losing lots of weight has started to change my overall relationship with food which in the past was ecessive and gluttonous. Many are eating more than they need to and we just don’t know or care. Hopefully what I wrote was not pretentious and I apologize if it’s construed as such!

submitted by /u/spacelionfgc
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2uBg3di

No comments:

Post a Comment