Friday, March 29, 2019

Thoughts on getting your mental health in check before attempting weight loss?

This is a piece of advice I've seen often on this sub, possibly even parroted it myself at some point. That you should work on your mental health before even attempting to lose weight, lest you never succeed.

But I kind of disagree. Sure you have to be ready to lose weight and aware of how your mental health can make things harder But I know for myself if I'd waited until I had a handle on my mental health, I would never have started losing. my attitude is 'my mental illness has been and probably always will be here, I have to live life in spite of that' rather than 'I have to fix my mental health before I can work on my physical body'.

Mental health issues make things harder, and seeking therapy etc. would likely make things (including weight loss) easier for the vast majority of people, but I don't accept that seeking mental health help can't be done concurrently with weight loss. It's like those people who say you have to love yourself before anyone else can love you, just seems defeatist to me. Not to mention losing weight and especially increasing activity can somewhat help a fair few mental health issues, it doesn't solve anything but it helps.

I dunno, what do y'all think?

(Another issue is people assuming that getting skinny will fix their mental health issues in which case, maybe an assessment of goals is in order and they should definitely seek concurrent mental health assistance but that's kind of separate to the general depression/anxiety/trauma is making it hard to stay on track that often garners the advice to take a 'maintenance break' or such.)

submitted by /u/illicitlizard
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2OwCFVF

No comments:

Post a Comment