Wednesday, March 27, 2019

"it's easy to just not eat too much"

I was just reading a thread in another sub involving a man asking how he could help motivate his obese wife to get healthy and exercise. One user replied that he it was her choice, and that if she wanted to, "it's easy just not eat too much". I'm usually pretty thick skinned, especially on the internet, but that comment stung. Because it makes me realize that for all of my weight loss efforts, and for all of the effort I put into my choices every single day, there are still going to be people who look at me and assume I just can't help but run into 7-11 for cookies and candy everyday. In reality the truth can't be more opposite.

I've struggled with weight my entire life, but managed in recent years to stay within a healthy enough range with a combination of sports and gym routines, albeit still on the chubbier side of healthy. This past year I gained over 20 pounds, and resolved to get back to where I'm comfortable. But this time, unlike in the past, I'm on medication that makes it EXTREMELY difficult to lose weight. Since January I've been on a restricted caloric high protein, low fat, low carb diet. When my original daily goal of 1500 calories wasn't helping me lose weight, I decreased even further to 1200 calories/day and was prescribed phentermine (a weight loss drug). I am also very active, training for a half marathon and following a strict running schedule.

After 12 weeks of this regimen, including being currently 6 weeks into zero sugar, zero carb, zero alcohol, I have lost a whopping total of 3 pounds. I think this is why the user's "just eat the right amount" comment spurred such a reaction in me. The daily effort of weighing out food, logging, counting, making sure I have snacks, navigating social situations like happy hours, prioritizing exercise, etc. requires an immense amount of mental energy. And yet to some people, I'm just overweight because I can't be bothered.

This ignorance stings. Has anyone else encountered anything similar or felt the same way? I know this is just one user's comment, but I feel like it's indicative of a larger trend that I've seen with friends, coworkers, etc.

submitted by /u/nokarmaforkittybear
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2YsNPzh

No comments:

Post a Comment