Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Complicated relationship with food

I've had a complicated relationship with food for as long as I can remember.

We didn't have much money for food when I was a kid, and it was a misogynistic family where the men and boys ate first. Girls were given remnants afterwards. Many nights, dinner was a piece of cornbread. I don't remember being hungry, exactly, but I never remember being comfortably full. Looking back, I realize that I was actually starving.

Then came the freedom of adulthood. I'm in my 40's now and sometimes still get giddy walking into a supermarket, thinking, "I could buy anything here." The fridge, freezer, and cabinets stay full, and there are snacks in my desk, my purse, my car. I feel anxious when supplies run low even though I know the market is right down the street.

I fell in love with food, too - with cooking and baking all things rich, salty, savory, sweet. To share an amazing meal with those I care about is the highest honor, and maybe my favorite way of showing love. Many of my most prized possessions are cookware.

It's no surprise that my weight climbed steadily through adulthood, is it? I finally hit my breaking point about 10 years ago and lost about 75 pounds through strict CICO and daily exercise. I felt great... but slowly but surely, all the weight came creeping back. I tried a "who cares" attitude for a few years - until aching knees, ill-fitting clothes, and poor sleep forced me to reconsider. At the time of this post, I'm down 15 pounds again, with a long journey ahead.

BUT - this time I'm reconsidering my relationship with food. I realize that insipid food for sake of weight loss - and trying to think of it only as fuel - will never work for me. I have to fall in love with food in different ways.

I have container gardens growing in every patch of sunlight I can find. I walk into the farmer's market and think, "I can buy anything here." There's always a big batch of fresh pico de gallo in the fridge, and I'm finding the beauty in perfectly roasted chicken, crispy charred sweet potato wedges, complex quinoa salads, and so on. I have a beautiful new set of small plates in the cabinet. And, I still plan to make decadent desserts to share with those I love - but only every once in a long while, and only when there are enough "sharers" to make it a one-and-done event.

It's early in this journey but I feel really good. This board inspires me tremendously. I would love to hear about the healthy foods that you enjoy most, and share ideas with anyone who may be interested. Call me crazy, but I want to have it all: I want to care about food, care about my body, and take good care of my family. It feels worth the work!

submitted by /u/MGrego
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2HhcUGB

No comments:

Post a Comment