Tuesday, May 7, 2019

When you want to shout your progress from the rooftops but it’s just not like you

A weird thing happened to me today. For several years during grad school I was part of a small group of 3 close friends and, put simply, I was the big friend and the other two were very slim/petite. One bonded with me over trying to track food and we would go to the gym together but she never really needed to lose weight at all and I never really succeeded in losing weight at all. Since graduation I have lost almost 40lbs and now with about 20-25 left till goal feel like a new person. The last time either of them saw me the weight loss was not particularly apparent.

Today in the group chat they are praising a former classmate of ours who posts selfies showcasing her not-insignificant loss. I felt bitter though and examined by feelings because I know the classmate who also lost weight is the wrong target.

I guess I wish I were the type to tell everyone about my weight loss upfront. I have friends who post on social media about reaching their goal weight and I roll my eyes, but really it’s because I’m not confident enough to broadcast my own progress. It’s hard with my family too because I’ve been disordered in the past and try not to seem too “into” weight loss so they don’t worry about me (I am very much recovered though and have lost weight in a healthy way). Positive reinforcement is an important part in staying motivated, and I get affirmation on the scale every day but it would be nice to get it from outside. This really turned into a rant haha but am I alone in feeling this way? How do you all deal with feeling like you need recognition for your work?

submitted by /u/Shortgirlwhotries
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2H0Tc0E

No comments:

Post a Comment