Friday, November 15, 2019

Advice for helping my GF be comfortable with my goals

A few months ago, I had lost about 10 lbs just by cutting out snacks. Then I started dating for the first time in almost a decade. Cut forward to today, and I've gained almost all that weight back as a result of dinners out, snacks at home, and just being comfortable in a relationship. Now I'm getting serious again. I've started tracking for CICO, I'm being more conscious about what I eat, and how much walking I do every day.

Meanwhile, over the past year, my GF's mother started losing weight, but has adopted an incredibly restrictive no-carb diet based on forums she's found online. She's constantly finding new foods that she decides she can't eat, and has blown waaaaay past her target weight. She doesn't want to adjust to a maintenance diet as long as she feels she can keep losing more weight. She is moving into an unhealthy low weight and we're concerned that she has developed an eating disorder. We're talking sunken eyes, boney limbs, and a complete unwillingness to discuss it. She's also started criticizing others about their weight and encouraging everyone to cut out carbs.

Because of her mom, my GF is hesitant about me starting my own weight loss journey. She has told me that she doesn't like the idea of me counting calories because that's where her mom started. She has also said that if I start to become "buff" or "fit" that she's going to feel insecure about her own body in comparison. I've explained that I have no interest in being buff. I'm 40-50 pounds overweight and I just want to be healthy again. I've offered to give her access to my "Lose It!" app so she can see what I'm eating. And I've tried to reassure her that my goals are 100% "for me" and that I have no expectations for her to diet along with me or change the way she sees me.

Because she's amazing, she's trying her best to be supportive even though I can tell she's still uncomfortable with me doing CICO and my overall weight loss goals. I'm struggling to help her find a level of comfort with the changes I'm making in my life. I'm hoping that some of you will have gone through similar scenarios and might be able to offer some advice about how to have discussions about my progress and make sure she's comfortable that I'm not developing an ED too. I want to be able to support her the same way she is trying to support me, but this is all new ground for me.

submitted by /u/CanCon89
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2q7lK4j

No comments:

Post a Comment