Saturday, December 28, 2019

200 by 2020: A story of Failure.

Here we are at the end of another year and on my bathroom mirror there’s the reminder of another goal set with good intentions followed by typical failure. At the end of 2018, I was determined to finally accomplish my weight loss goals. I lost 50 pounds before our wedding but that was four years ago at that point. I had kept most of the weight off but had stopped that progress not long after the wedding. Here I was four years later, two kids and a goal. Never let them remember me as a fat dad. To be healthy for my wife. To be the man I want to be. To lose another 100 plus pounds to finally reach 200 pounds. So I ordered a custom vinyl sign to place on my mirror and remind me of that goal every single day. That means there’s been 365 days of seeing my goal right in front of me and not reaching it. There were some strong starts this year and then I would find myself becoming discouraged and giving up.

Here’s what I’ve learned in my failure in 2019:

  1. If I’m going to reach this goal it’s 100% up to me. I can’t rely on anyone else to keep me accountable, encourage me or even notice or care if I’m making progress.

  2. This goal has to be for me too. Yes, I want to be healthy for my family but I have to do this for me first and foremost. It’s okay to be selfish if being selfish if it means taking care of myself.

  3. Do the work. I will count every calorie. I will go to the gym. I won’t expect results when I haven’t done anything about it. I will make plans for what I’m going to eat, I will make plans for when I’m going to the gym. I will follow through.

  4. It takes a change of mindset to reach a new lifestyle. I will park as far away as I can from the store, I will take my kids for a walk when I get home, I will wake up early and get things done. Procrastinating is what got me into this situation, it’s certainly not going to get me out of it.

  5. This should really be #1. I won’t jeopardize my family in the process. Even though I’m tired, even thought I’m sore, even though this is “selfish”. My family still comes first and I have to keep them my priority. If I reach my goal but they’re not beside me at the end, then it’s been all for nothing.

I don’t know how 2020 is going to shake out. But I know that I’ve learned from my failure in 2019 and I know it can’t end the same way. The sign is staying up as a reminder that good intentions are worthless without the work. I know it has to end better than this. And that it’s up to me and only me. I have to do this, for my family, for me.

submitted by /u/Darmok85
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2QqWTS1

No comments:

Post a Comment