Saturday, December 28, 2019

When i share my goals with others I'm *less* likely to follow through.

Which seems counter intuitive. But that's been my weight loss pattern.

Current stats: 38m, 257lbs, 5'11"

The time i was most successful in 2016 (dropped 45 lbs slow and steady over 9 months and though i never met my goal weight i kept it off for the next 9) i barely told anyone how or why i was doing it. They obviously learned some things, but i kept all convos about it fairly generic. Unfortunately in 2018 and 2019 i put it all back on (also slowly) and going into 2020 I'm 75ish lbs overweight. Throughout '18 and '19 when I'd get motivated it, i couldnt stay consistent more than 2 or 3 weeks.

In fact this whole "less you tell more you achieve" mindset shows up in almost every area that i have goals. Its weird. I finally read an article (that i cant find now but will poke around some more) that explained that while accountability and shared motivation works well for a whole lot, for others its a detriment. And i guess i fit into the latter set.

So I'm fairly new to Reddit and the anonymity of it is appealing because i do want some sort of support and maybe the anonymous nature of reddit will help me find the support without triggering whatever this weird psychological block i have that kicks in when i tell people IRL.

Anyway. Here's to 2020.

submitted by /u/jaybrams15
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2rxqFfk

No comments:

Post a Comment