Saturday, December 28, 2019

The year in review: Also; if you're thinking of getting started Jan 1 here are so ideas of where to start, and proof that a year from now you can be a different person!

Merry Christmas all! We are almost at the end of the year and I've been so exited to make this post. I hope someone who sees a daunting task ahead, or a New Years resolution that is impossible to stick to reads this and can see where you very well may be in a year.

First and foremost, props to this sub as well as /r/mealprep /r/1200isplenty and /r/keto. Can't forget MyFitnessPal, Nutribullet, Samsung Galaxy S3 watch, this food scale from Amazon, and my Withings bathroom scale. This is not advertisement, just a plain English shout out to what worked for me.

Where I was: 34, 310 lbs, 3XL shirts, and 44" waist

Where I am now: 35, 220lbs, L shirts, and a 34 inch waist.

I work shift work at a desk, with limited physical activity. On nights off I loved drinking Whiskey and diet coke, watching Netflix, staying up late and ordering a pizza and wings or Chinese food. I love to cook but the allure of takeout was too much to handle, especially while half drunk. Damn you grubhub!

In December last year I was listening to a podcast about a "Sober October" challenge with some comedians I enjoy. I was intrigued and decided to do a Sober January for myself and see how it went. It was around this time I also decided to casually track my calories (without making any adjustments).

So... January begins. I am still eating like crap and tracking every bite but not drinking. The weight starts to drop instantly. Funny side effect of not being up late drinking all night... my takeout ordering habits are broken. Hm... Weight continues to drop. By the end of January I am absolutely hooked and decide to jump in full time.

I decide that since I can cook, and love seafood anyway to try and give up carbs and takeout in general. Pizza withdrawal is a real thing and it should have it's own rehab. But I carry on. How strict can I be? Lets go crazy.. 1200 calories a day (weighing food on my scale actually shows me what a portion should look like), low carb high protein. Also meal prepping for work to avoid the daily takeout temptation. See how long that lasts. It's around here that I realize something... There are a lot of really tasty foods that are good for me. So now I am eating Scallops, Lobster, Salmon, Crab every night.. and still..and still saving money?!

Alright, I've rambled enough so here is what I ate/how I portioned for a typical (and most) days.

Breakfast: Black coffee with sugar free creamer. Smoothie (Kale, Celery, Cucumber, and strawberry).

Lunch: Spring Mix salad, 4oz baked chicken breast, 2Tbsp of Bolthouse Yogurt salad dressing. A low sugar protein shake (I like Isoburn Weight loss protein).

Dinner: Salmon with either scallops or shrimp. 2 servings of broccoli, and asparagus. I found a lot of tasty sugar free sauces and condiments to change things up.

Snack: Pistachios, almonds, cashews, pork rinds, cheese, or popcorn.

Every bite is accounted for in MFP religiously. I am at 363 straight days logged as of today, and that includes days when I went over, don't just count the good days.

If you're wondering, after January ended I did allow myself to drink again but frequency went down A LOT. I also ditched the Whiskey and diet coke in exchange for Vodka and Seltzer. I also cheated a few times but nothing major (with the exception of my birthday, Thanksgiving, and Christmas).

I also joined a cheap gym and decided that something was better than nothing. So I didn't make any stringent goals or set high expectations.. I simply walk. That's it. While I am at work I line up several podcasts for the upcoming week and on days I want to go to the gym I have something to entertain me for 60-90 minutes for my walk.

So anyway, if you're thinking of starting a new lifestyle this year and don't know how to even get started, I hope this gives you some avenues to at least look into it. After all this my only regret is not doing this 5 or even 10 years ago. It is possible, and you CAN have a productive new year.

Good luck, and I hope 2020 is as good for you as it will be for me

submitted by /u/AdamDe27
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2MC63Kt

No comments:

Post a Comment