Thursday, May 28, 2020

Being low-key is really helping me this time

Hi! Long-time lurker of this sub - for background, I'm 25, 6 months post-partum and really trying to lose a lifetime of bad habits and binge induced weight! I have always been a big girl, even when I was very little I distinctly remember being fat. Which is strange because my family is not really fat... But issues with mental health and elements of PTSD led to secret binge eating. Then when I got with my partner 5 years ago my weight rocketed because I was comfortable and he's a bit of an enabler in that sense.

I've tried multiple times to lose weight, most successful of all lost 25lb before getting pregnant BUT I was active on weightloss Instagram at that time and I felt a LOT of pressure to lose weight in a certain way and at a certain speed. I had seen a lot of influencers in this field recommending documenting your progress as a way to remain motivated but I found I was often comparing myself, feeling miserable about my own progress and resorting to fatalistic binging tendancies - 'oh well if I'm already this overweight I may as well eat this now!' etc.

Where as this time I'm not 'publicly' documenting my weight loss as in with photos and so on a social media account. I'm not getting too excited about progress or going wild thinking of treats for myself. I'm not even being super rigid with having to do so much exercise.

I'm keeping my head down. I'm taking a day at a time. I'm on my feet lots with my baby as she gets more developed. I've started gardening and stretching in the sun. I try to do HIIT and Pilates and am enjoying feeling my body being able to do new things. If anyone in the house needs something I jump up and do it rather than staying sat down. I just eat within my calories and try not to attach emotions to what I eat anymore. So much of my binging in the past has been out of emotional outbursts and I've found being sort of... Low key about it all has really helped with consistency.

I have adopted a new philosophy of simplicity because I know I am busy and struggle with discipline. I apply this to everything now. How can I most simply achieve my goals? Because once I am off my maternity leave I will be working full time with a baby in a stressful field and won't want to go to the gym 5 days a week or eat a complex or restrictive diet.

Since Easter, I've managed to lose 13lb which isn't that remarkable but it is for me. I've logged my food every day and been honest and rational about any overeating - always accounting for it and making up for it later in the week. I've weighed myself sparingly and not taken it too hard if I haven't done as well as I'd hoped.

I really feel like this time I'm making a difference to my habits and my lifestyle which I think will be key to actually being successful. I really am just plodding along, one day at time, hoping to finally get rid of this weight and focus on my daughter, my health and cultivating a happy and peaceful life.

submitted by /u/inthebinx
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2M9lf0M

No comments:

Post a Comment