Thursday, July 2, 2020

Started my journey 3 weeks ago, 265lbs after a pulmonary embolism.

I used to be 185lbs after I started taking health seriously in my early 20’s. Ran a marathon at 27, was in the best shape of my life at that point.

Fast forward 8 years, I stopped working out/running, relying on work and weekend summer sports to get any activity. Lived a very idle life. That caught up to me in December, when I got diagnosed with massive bilateral pulmonary emboli after I was having trouble breathing and my pulse was racing after climbing a set of stairs. I weighed in at 265lbs, the heaviest of my life.

Managed to stave off death and get out of the hospital after a week, but highly restricted on activity. Fast forward to 3 weeks ago, I finally got the ok to begin intensive cardio.

I decided to get back on the horse, alternating days of elliptical training and resistance band weight training. I could barely do 10 minutes to start before I was doubled over, feeling my pulse everywhere and sucking for every cubic inch of air. Today, I’m able to do 40 minutes on the elliptical (around 6k) and 60 minutes of weight training with no issues. It’s amazing what a difference it makes, and only just getting started.

I coupled the workout routine with Intermittent Fasting, and being smarter about my calories. Started off doing 16:8, increased to 18:6 last week.

I weighed myself on Sunday, I was at 252lbs. Since then, I increased my elliptical workout duration by 10 minutes, mixing in intervals (1 min hard, 2 mins easy). I’m trying to avoid overtraining but as long as my body isn’t overly sore, I workout 5 days a week minimum now.

So far, so good, seeing positive results in both exercise tolerance and weight loss to help improve overall health, but especially heart health considering the long term ramifications that can accompany PE.

I just wanted to share my story, especially for those who may have suffered or may yet suffer a thrombosis episode. If you survive, it can suck being told to take it easy - but if you do, you’ll hopefully get the green light sooner, and take the second chance you got to better yourself as best you can, and please listen to your medical team.

submitted by /u/Isuckatlife1266
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2VCWCic

No comments:

Post a Comment