Wednesday, September 30, 2020

How I beat a 6 month plateau and actually started to work out

(F, mid-20s, 6')

I'm going to preface this by saying 1) long post and 2) I've been on this weight loss journey for well over a year now.

I was feeling really down recently: even though I look better than I did last year, my weight still hasn't gone down under 200lbs. I know the number on the scale isn't everything (especially with a 6' frame, I carry the weight well). I don't look it, but after losing 45 pounds (fairly) rapidly, my weight had plateaued around 212-215 for about 6 months.

I knew the next step was working out. I knew it had to be. I already had a pretty physical job. I'd been doing intermittent fasting, completely changed my eating habits, close to zero processed food, drank water instead of sugary drinks, even started taking the stairs and such. I had done everything I could except working out. I knew it was the only thing left to do, and the only other new thing that I could do.

But I hate any kind of physical activity. It's not even a laziness thing, I'm not a lazy person. I'm one of the most productive and determined people you'll ever meet...... just not in any physical activity.

I tried everything. I have tried every single physical activity under the sun. I am not exaggerating. I crowdsourced ideas for unusual workout ideas. Every (and I mean every) sport, yoga, all different kinds of martial arts, poledancing, bouldering, rock climbing, running, jogging, walking, hiking, biking, skateboarding, rollerblading, roller derby, swimming (competitively and non-competitively), plain ol' stretching. Nah.

When people get stoned at parties, and say "Let's go for a walk!" I will 100% of the time decline. I just.... don't like moving too much. I’d rather relax. Nothing, and I mean nothing, can make me enjoy working out.

So what's with all this complaining? I know I probably sound annoying at this point. What could I possibly be ramping up to? To show you exactly how much of a whiner I am. I need to express this to you, fully. When it comes to working out, I’m a huge whiner.

And that's when it hit me: if I can't find anything I like, then I'm never going to like it anyway. I am always going to be a whiner when it comes to exercise. And I'm just gonna have to suck it up and do it anyway.

So I downloaded the 7 minute workout app. If I was going to work out, I wanted to start out as small as possible. All of a sudden, I went from forcing myself to go to a gym or a club or a park or whatever.... to not even having to leave my house. It's a small commitment. I can do it in my living room. It's 7 minutes. You never do any particular exercise for more than 30 seconds. Thirty. Seconds. I can handle that, right? And if I can't, well..... then I'll whine for 30 seconds instead of 30 minutes.

And the results? AMAZING. I'm closer to Onederland than I've ever been in my adult life. I've only been using the app for 3 weeks, and I'm only working out 3x a week. That's 9 workouts. That's 7 minutes a workout. That's 63 minutes TOTAL. And I've lost 10 pounds already.

Sometimes your body just needs a kick. If you're completely or nearly sedentary, like me, then 7 minutes can he like an hour to your body, especially at the beginning. If your baseline is 0, then even a 1 is progress. Start as small as you need to. Work your way up. I promise it's worth it.

Who knows, maybe I'll even end up enjoying it.

TL;DR: If you hate working out, suck it up. Even taking the stairs is better than nothing. Everyone’s gotta be active, somehow. And if you’re not active normally, then working out is a must. Not just for weight loss, but for your health.

submitted by /u/NovemberSaline
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3ldtFE7

No comments:

Post a Comment