Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Just starting out, need to lose 172 pounds, feeling scared and alone

I feel very alone and kind of hopeless in this.

My doctor gave me some very strong and unsettling test results demonstrating my need to lose weight. Specifically, I’d need to lose 172 pounds to reach the goal BMI she set for me. Otherwise, I'm at risk of developing some very undesirable medical complications.

I am 1 week into my new lifestyle of eating better and exercising, and I’m so scared that it just won’t be enough. I’m scared that it’s impossible to lose this amount of weight. Scared that the medical complications will end up developing anyways because I will always be severely obese.

I don’t know what I’m doing in this weight loss effort, and I have no one to talk to about this. The doctor referred me to the weight management program at my clinic, and I had my first meeting with them today. It’s clear to me that their goal is to fast-track all weight management patients into bariatric surgery. She gave this long pitch explaining that using diet and exercise can only help you lose a certain percentage of your body weight, and after that, your body will fight against you to lose any more. She says that bariatric surgery is the *only* option if I want to see substantial weight loss for the long term. And even then, the surgery won’t help me lose even half of the total amount of weight I need to drop. Plus there’s always a risk of regaining it.

Listening to her made me feel absolutely hopeless.

This is a very emotionally challenging issue, stemming from a long childhood/teenage life of extreme diets and eating disorders encouraged by my anorexic mother. And so, they also referred me to a therapist who specializes in eating disorders and nutritional health. But her schedule is booked so far out that I can’t start talking to her until the end of JANUARY. God, this is just a lot for someone to deal with all alone and have no one to talk to about it. I hope one of you might care.

submitted by /u/Hollyannlang94
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3cH1biH

No comments:

Post a Comment