Thursday, September 24, 2020

What are some of your staple foods?

Finding foods that fit into your calories and that you also enjoy eating is crucial to weight loss + maintenance. Here are some of my staple foods that I've found during this journey! (note: please correct me if any of my facts are wrong or misleading)

  • Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt
    • The sourness may be an acquired taste for some, but as someone who loves sour/acidic tasting foods, I love greek yogurt. For breakfast sometimes I'll add some raw honey, fruit, and almonds to a huge bowl of yogurt; it's freaking delicious, sometimes I eat it for dessert. You can also combine yogurt + self-rising flour to make a quick and easy flatbread dough. Unsweetened nonfat greek yogurt is low calorie and high protein, and it tastes great.
    • Also pro tip: if there's an unsweetened version of something you regularly purchase, buy that instead. It may be cheaper, and you can add your desired amount of sugar to it, which is usually less than the craze-inducing amount of sugar food companies love to add to their products.
  • Popcorn
    • Popcorn (not microwave popcorn) is awesome! For y'all who like to volume eat, popcorn is your best friend for a snack. You can eat a giant bowl for a relatively low amount of calories. It's a plus if you have an air popper because you can omit the calories that come from popping the kernels in oil. But even without an air popper, you can make a cheap + delicious batch of fresh popcorn with kernels, a bit of oil, and a pot. Popcorn also has a decent amount of fiber, which is great.
  • Eggs + egg whites
    • I've recently started adding egg whites to my eggs (for example, instead of using 2 whole eggs, I'll use 1 egg + 2 egg whites). I literally cannot taste the difference, and this way you get less calories, less cholesterol, and more protein.
  • Sweet potatoes
    • I love sweet potatoes. You can keep them sweet or make them savory. They're about the same calories as "regular" potatoes (for lack of better word), but they are a bit more nutritionally dense. And they're fucking delicious.
  • Frozen berries
    • Frozen berries are everything. Often times when I want dessert but don't have enough calories left in my budget to eat something dense like cookies/ice cream/brownies, I'll go for a bowl of frozen berries. Frozen berries are pretty calorically light, so you can volume eat if that's what you like. Also, frozen raspberries are literally filled with fiber (and they're great for those of us who love sweet + sour foods).

I eat these foods on a weekly basis, and I'm loving them. What are some of your staples?

submitted by /u/Vivid-One2535
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3mRPYAP

No comments:

Post a Comment