Sunday, October 18, 2020

After Losing It

[M40, 178cm 83kg] I’ve now lost over 50kg (110lb) and I’ve surpassed several weight goals along the way.

As I lost the weight, each goal was just another step on the ladder, until I started to really see I was getting skinny, especially in my arms and legs.

I still have a belly and while that’s the case it’s hard to acknowledge the weight loss as a success. But I’ve realised that weight loss and fitness are two different things.

For me CICO was an easy way to lose weight. Set and hit a deficit everyday, you will lose weight, it’s that simple. You could do it without any exercise at all, just takes honesty and discipline. Which is great, when you’re losing.

As I got down to close to 80kg, I realised that if I wanted to stop losing I had to make a major shift in thinking. Had I continued at a big deficit, I would be left with no muscle at all... whilst it was good to see the numbers going down, that wouldn’t have resulted in a body and a level of fitness I would be happy with.

So over the last six weeks I have been trying to switch from losing weight to getting fit. Up to this point I have been running and doing a few HIIT workouts, but nothing too serious. Now, I am doing serious workouts with weights and longer and more regular runs. I’m trying to do some kind of proper exercise every day.

This means I just need to eat more, it’s essential to make the most of the work I’m doing with the exercise. But going from eating 1500 cals a day to 2500+ is hard. You’ve been training your brain for a long time to be mindful of every single calorie...

So, I’m trying to shift to thinking about what I’m eating from a nutrition point of view, hitting all the right nutrients and getting the right mix of macros to promote some muscle growth.

I’m prepared to not keep losing weight, I think, but it’s really hard to get out of that mentality. Trying to focus on new goals related to health and fitness and not just focussing on the scales.

Suffice to say, this post is about the fact that the journey is never really over. Keep setting yourself goals, but make sure those goals are for the right thing at the right time. I started heavy, so HAD to lose before I could really focus on anything else. Now I’m down to an acceptable weight I’ve had to make that shift.... it’s not easy and I’m still not happy with my belly fat, but I know that just running a calorie deficit won’t work anymore. So now it’s time to work my body hard, but fuel it right too.

I hope this helps some folks and I’m happy to answer any questions!

Cheers all!

submitted by /u/lukesbluemilk
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2T5oKJb

No comments:

Post a Comment