Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Frustration with friends during weight loss.

So, my weight loss style has been very "Eh, are you comfy where you are? Take a break." Which honestly, has worked great for me. I've been working on weight loss for about 5 years total-- I lost about 40 lbs intitially, (227-187), and paused there for a couple years. I recently picked it back up, lost a bit of gain I got over covid, and dropped down to hit my 50 lbs lost mark.

Suffice to say, I've been extremely body positive the whole way down, given myself ample time, not gotten obsessed, etc. And still, my friends seem to be split into two camps:

One thinks I'm on the path to developing an eating disorder and borderline fatphobic

The other is uncomfortable with any mention of weight loss.

It's getting frustrating, because as I hit goals, I have no one I actually know to share the little joys with. I hit a milestone recently and got kudos from strangers, but everyone I know basically giving me warnings. It's 50 lbs over 5 years.... it just is not unhealthy or giving any reasons to throw up flags.

It's just so frustrating, because I'm taking this so, so slowly. It's a meandering wander downwards. I take breaks. I love my body the whole way down. And on top of it all, I have had an eating disorder-- compulsive eating tied in with my OCD. So feeling free from that and able to happily eat a normal portion size/not snack all day long, is actually a huge, freeing accomplishment from my disorder.

Basically the last person I talked to about it asked me to stop, which is fair-- they've had their own complicated history and I'm certainly happy to accommodate their wishes there. That's not a big deal, it's just the fact that they were the last. The swath of everyone else in my life being weird about it until I don't have anyone to celebrate with, is the part that sucks.

It just sucks that it seems like no matter how moderate and healthy your attitudes are, no matter how slow you take it, so many people seem like they think working to lose weight is something to treat as if you're on the borderline for a personal disaster. Some actively try to sabotage. And the rest just seem like they don't know what to say.

submitted by /u/Sleepwalks
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/33CcGFa

No comments:

Post a Comment