Saturday, October 24, 2020

I lost 35lbs during quarantine, but hit a plateau

I started off quarantine at about 255lbs. At the time I was drinking a lot of beer and not really paying attention to what I was eating. I had sleep apnea and high blood pressure that would regularly exceed 170/100 (normal is 120/80). I felt quite horrible on a daily basis, tired all the time, and a nervous wreck constantly worried about dying suddenly. Long story short, I got real tired of feeling so awful all the time, and decided I’d buckle down and change something.

First, I stopped drinking all together. This wasn’t an attempt to lose weight, although it certainly didn’t hurt, but just a way to improve my general health. Afterwards my mind was a lot clearer, but I still felt rotten, and couldn’t seem to get a good nights rest no matter how long I slept. Of course this was because, in part, I’d been diagnosed with sleep apnea about six months prior, but had neglected to get a CPAP machine.

So I finally caved, called up my local medical supply store, and got myself a CPAP machine. For those who don’t know, sleep apnea is a condition in which your airway closes while you’re asleep, and you stop breathing for short periods of time. This can really fuck up your ability to get a decent nights rest, raise your blood pressure, and contributes to risk of stroke and heart attack. The CPAP machine creates pressure in your airway that forces it to stay open during the night. It took a while to get used to wearing the mask, but when I was finally able to keep it on until morning, I saw changes to my energy levels immediately.

With my drinking eliminated and my sleep apnea controlled, losing weight was ten times easier than it’d been in the past. I wasn’t eating because I was overly tired, and I wasn’t drinking countless calories every night. I started counting my calories every day and kept my consumption to under 1500 cal/day. I stuck with it, weight melted off, and I ended up losing 35lbs. With the weight loss, my blood pressure dropped down to the high end of normal range, and I felt better than I had in years.

Recently however, I haven’t been sticking to that 1500 cal/day limit, and have gotten lazy about tracking my calorie intake. I haven’t gained, but I definitely stopped losing. While I was feeling horribly unhealthy, I had what seemed like unlimited motivation, but now that I feel like a normal person again, motivation has been quite hard to find. Maybe i cut weight too quickly, maybe I need to just buckle down and do it again, but I don’t know at this point. Any advice in getting over a weight loss hump would be greatly appreciated, as would any similar stories you’d like to share.

submitted by /u/snubcrescent
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2J4LwiE

No comments:

Post a Comment