Tuesday, October 20, 2020

I'm 470 pounds, and this weekend everything will change

I'm not sure why I'm posting this, but I mostly wanted to log my thoughts somewhere about how and why I came to where I am. This weekend I'm moving from Ohio to Illinois for a 2-3 month makeshift "fat camp."

My parents, who have been the greatest support system I could possibly imagine (though I have great friends/roommates, too), are going to be supervising my every move while I'm living in my dad's once-office building turned second home. This means daily exercise, healthy food, manageable portions, and no lazy habits for the duration. One of the biggest reasons I'm overweight is because I spend too much time lazing around on my computer, watching tv, or playing video games. Now I'll have access to none of that, and I'll be forced to find stuff to do that keeps me more active. I'm staying for 2-3 months to fully break the bad habits I have and fully adjust to the healthier ones.

I'm really fortunate that I have this option available to me. I can continue work since I have a dedicated work computer (that my boss can track, so no playing video games or watching youtube on there) and my dad is pretty much retired and wants to spend time with me anyways, so it all works out so well. I've run out of excuses and now have the perfect opportunity to really start my weight loss journey.

It ultimately came down to what they asked me, "Do you want to change or not? If yes, we're going to invest in whatever tools you need to succeed." And what I need to succeed is pretty extreme, it seems. I can't just "try out" keto, talk with a therapist while taking no action taken, or exercise with no change in diet. All the half-measures I've been taking haven't worked, so I'm going to go all in, even if that means putting my whole life on hold for a quarter of a year. If not this, then I'm going to pay for inpatient therapy, or bariatric surgery. I've always been afraid of these steps due to the money and effort of it, but that's not true anymore.

I've posted elsewhere that I was afraid I was unfixable due to the countless attempts I made. But in hindsight, these just weren't enough of a change. I was trying to change my health without changing my unhealthy lifestyle.

So I'm posting this here as a way of declaring I will start this, and I'm not backing down. If you're like me and have a stable income but are way too afraid of the pricetags of these major tools like I was, I also want to pass along the advice I got from my dad, a top-notch investment banker:

Your health is an investment. What is a few thousand dollars compared to decades of a healthier life (or even just staying alive in general)? If you aren't finding success with the solutions you've been trying, think bigger. Sometimes you aren't going to dam a stream by tossing pebbles into it by yourself, no matter how many you throw and no matter with how much effort. You need to invest in the help and tools you need to build a proper dam if you want to stop the constant flow of water. It'll cost more, but it will be worth it in the long run to get it done and get it done right.

I'll try and post an update when I return to Ohio. Wish me luck!

submitted by /u/BenCraigKey
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/34h2ti8

No comments:

Post a Comment