Friday, October 23, 2020

Inspired by this sub, here's what's worked for me down 14 pounds in the last 50 days.

I lurk on my main account and I am constantly inspired by the people of this subreddit. They've helped me on my own weight loss journey. Here are somethings that have really worked for me that I want to share. I try very hard to stick with these but I'm not a monk, a slip up here and there has not erased all of my progress. I hope you can find value in one or more of these tips.

  1. Don't drink your calories. Just don't do it. No soda, no beer.
  2. Coffee and tea (without additives are your friend)
  3. Sparkling water is your new best friend. I find it fills me up much more than still. I'll splash fresh or bottled lemon juice to mix it up. This is not lemonade this is squeezed lemon juice no sugars added.
  4. I start my day with a cup of coffee around 6:30 AM, I have a second cup around 7:00 and then I pick a time for my first real food, usually 10AM or 11AM. Mentally setting the time makes it easier for me to know I have something to look forward to but also means I've gone through 4 or 5 hours with basically zero calories in. I know coffee on an empty stomach doesn't sit well with everyone but this works for me. I'll splash in a bit of Kirkland almond milk which is ~10calories.
  5. Move. You need to walk at least 30 minutes a day. That can be broken up if you need to but you have to move. One thing to remember the larger you are the more calories you're going to burn just by moving. This movement helps with that calorie deficit.
  6. Exercise. Commit to at least 5 minutes everyday. There's no excuse for not doing 5 minutes. You'll surprise yourself and end up going longer somedays.
  7. Attach exercise to things you love to do. I stationary bike on Sundays while I watch football. I have a friend who does step ups while watching Netflix. I look forward to hoping on the bike each week because now I've associated it with something I enjoy. Also instead of sitting on the couch drinking beer and eating chips I'm burning calories. Huge.
  8. Diet. You need to know what you're eating and how many calories are in it. I reach for protein dense foods. Canned tuna, non-fat greek yogurt and grilled chicken. I make an effort to ensure I've always got one of these on hand so I can make the healthy choice. I kept a Costco size greek yogurt at my office when I was going in so I could grab that for lunch.
  9. Skip the French fries. Be the crappy friend who steals one or two off someone else's plate but do not chose them as your side when dining out. You're a side salad person now.
  10. Keep it out of the house. This is one of the biggest for me. My wife has no problem taking a few chips putting the bag away until tomorrow. If I know it's in the house, I'm going to keep going back and even if I pour myself a small bowl and put the bag way I know it's there and I'm going to eat more than I should. I need to work on self control but it's a lot harder to get in the car or walk down the street to go get the chips or ice cream vs walk to the kitchen. If you struggle with portion control I say keep it out the house.
  11. Prepare your own food. This isn't for everyone I know but I find joy in cooking. Not only does it take time which means you're spending time not eating while preparing but you also can control what's going into what you eat.
  12. Learn to read nutrition facts on food products. Check serving sizes, added sugars, sodium. Some salad dressing are equivalent to soda with the amount of added sugar.
  13. If you're going to have a meal that you know is unhealthy plan for it. I know I want to grab a burger and a beer with my friend on Friday night so I make sure to get in extra exercise and eat healthy Friday before that meal. Don't use the unhealthy meal as an excuse to throw off all the healthy behaviors and actions. Use it as catalysis to do more healthy stuff. This helps with the guilt of enjoying something and also creates the mindset of if I want X I need to do Y. I've found this leads to times where I'm feeling lazy and don't wanna hop on the bike or go for a long walk so I skip the beer or burger I was going to indulge with.
  14. Gum is your new dessert. Sugar free preferred. Over time this will also create a cue for you to know the meal is done.
  15. Feeling hungry before bed? Drink a glass of cold water. This isn't a new idea but again just tricking your body to say hold on and getting yourself away from the fridge where there are calories you don't really need is the goal.
  16. Protein powder is your friend. Protein helps you feel full. There's all kinds of protein powders if you've got dietary restrictions. Find one that sits well with you and be sure to read the nutrition facts. Some of these "healthy" powders are so full of sugar you might as well be drinking a can of Coke.
  17. Go to sleep early. I know the late night fridge raid is where I undo all the mindful work I've put in all day. Brush your teeth and get in bed.
  18. Slipped up and ate crap for a few days, make up for it. Swing extreme the other way. Now this might not work for everyone but for me it does. I'll do 3 hrs on the exercise bike if I know I ate like garbage and slacked off on the gym during the week.
  19. It took time to put the weight on, it's going to take time to take it off. It's not a sprint. Some weeks you'll see little progress and then you'll have weeks where the pounds just melt. Don't get discouraged. Stick with it and know that moving more and eating less will result in weight loss.
submitted by /u/asdftret
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3jt7FDI

No comments:

Post a Comment