Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Losing weight for MS

32F 5'6/SW 288/ CW 200/ GW 165

Sorry, this is a long one.

A year ago today, I was at my heaviest at 288, and my life changed forever. I was diagnosed with MS. The doctor said that I needed to lose weight to deal the disease. At that very moment, I was determined to make a change starting with how I eat. See, I grew up on unhealthy habits. Then I got older, didn't know how to cook and takeout was easy, Uber made it easier.

I started grocery shopping, learning how to cook healthy meals best I can without hurting myself (MS caused me to lose feeling in my hands.) Eating better, working out on my stationary bike, walking to work, was just enough to get me started. I was losing slowly and I okay with that.

Then the pandemic hit and I lost my job. Something happened, something clicked. Instead of getting depressed, I started walking. First I stayed in the neighborhood and gradually extended it more and more. Then out of nowhere, I started to run. Still extending how far I went. Sadly the running had to stop last month after a very bad fall and aggravated the arthritis in my knees. I had to adapt and switch things up. Now I walk 10- 12 miles every day, making sure I get at least 25,000 steps.

Since losing, I've struggled to see what everyone else was seeing. They would say, 'Oh you've lost so much weight' 'You look so good' but my instant thought was 'why are you lying to me.' I never looked at myself in the mirror until a week ago. I saw my collarbone. The collarbone is what made me realize what I've accomplished. Not the fact that I went from size 22 to 14/16, the collarbone. And then I saw how slim my face had gotten. Recently Facebook showed a memory and I saw how heavy I was, it was shocking. The hardest part in all of this is learning to take a compliment as I'm getting a lot of them. Not used to those

To celebrate the weight loss and my 1 year MS anniversary, I'm going skydiving today.

submitted by /u/dspoon88
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/35mVyTw

No comments:

Post a Comment