Monday, November 9, 2020

Doing too much in a short amount of time can be equally harmful

TL:DR: I was lifting weights the old me used to be able to do on a restricted diet and got Rhabdomyolysis and went to the hospital for four days. Lesson: You can't lose it all at once, and moderation is KEY!

Hi all- I (24 F) joined this sub at the beginning of the year as a NY-Resolutioner. My fitness journey began with daily runs followed by yoga, and I was really happy. Then COVID hit and I joined a Cross Fit gym. From June until November, I lost 15 pounds by going to the gym an average of 3x/ week. At each workout I burned an average of 600-800 calories and so I didn't see a reason to change the rest of my lifestyle (i.e. poor eating and drinking habits). I was feeling pretty confident and joined a challenge, which would increase from 3 to 4 really hard workouts a week. But I didn't account for work and ended up going about a week without working out before diving into the hardest arm workout ever. So much so that I couldn't straighten my arms leaving the gym that day. I went to the gym two more days after that. Still couldn't straighten my arms and it was painful to even think about. Four days later, my arms swelled to an alarming size and I went to the Emergency Room. Doc told me I had Rhabdo, which is a syndrome of the muscles where they break down and don't stop breaking down and ends up flooding the kidneys with protein fibers. It will raise your creatine levels, and almost everyone who's been extra sore at a workout may have had it. Usual CK levels are 50-100. I clocked in at over 100,000 in the ER. It can result in renal failure, so they kept me in the hospital for four days of constant hydration. I left on day 4 after going through approx. 13,000 mL of IV fluids and now I can't workout for the next 3 weeks, and after that only cardio. If, after two months I seem to be recovered I can only do LIGHT weights (seems contradictory but I digress).

I've always been a high achiever, and seeing those calories burnt every day was addicting. I'm honestly disappointed that I can't go to the gym; it was a huge part of my routine. But I realize now while my body may be young, it's no excuse to treat it like it can overcome whatever I throw at it. I was harsh on my body - killer workouts without the proper nutrition, improper supplements, and hazardous drinking habits. I lost weight, but at a terrible cost. 2020 was a year of lessons, but I think the biggest one is to be kind to my body. It's gotten me through a pandemic, and I can't assume that working out will solve my problems.

So to all who made it to the end, please learn from my perfect storm of dumb decisions - weight loss is a journey without an end. If you get to your goal weight, AWESOME! But I know for me, "losing weight" also means finding a healthy balance in every aspect of life. So don't lose hope, listen to your body, and good lord, hydrate!!!!

submitted by /u/jdevedj
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/35bI6D9

No comments:

Post a Comment