Thursday, November 12, 2020

Where's your joy?

Hi all -

I'm seeking advice on where and how to find daily pleasures in this long, slow journey. I have so little patience...I want instant gratification! When I was younger, I hated exercise because I thought the point was to transform into someone thin, and when that didn't happen instantly after a single work out, I felt defeated. Then I realized that there *are* immediate benefits to exercise - the endorphin rush, the ability to change my mood for the rest of the day, my body moving more fluidly through space, confidence, the negative self-talk subsiding in my head, a feeling of accomplishment, taking pride in my own strength, sleeping better that night, etc. I learned to love exercise not for the long term benefits but for the short term pleasure of it, and thanks to that re-framing, it's been a very regular part of my life for about a decade now.

I'd like to figure out how to reorient my thinking about weight loss in the same way. It's so slow, and so much about denial. How do I find the joy in it? How do I locate the places where this can be an every day source of happiness, rather than just a hard journey towards a very abstract goal? Are there things that make you feel good in the immediate? My body loses weight so slowly, and the physical changes to my body happen too slowly for me to easily connect them to what I'm doing each day. I'm very pleasure-oriented, and need help trying to find the daily pleasures in restricting calories.

thanks!

submitted by /u/PaperCurl960
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2IvM3tZ

No comments:

Post a Comment