Tuesday, May 14, 2019

A life lesson in large deficits vs moderation

A few weeks ago I really ramped things up. I was determined to hit my goal weight by a particular date. I did the math and lowered my intake substantially while increasing my activity level by adding some cardio on lifting days. We're talking about a 1000 calorie deficit, and I'm not a big guy so that equated to more than a 40% caloric deficit. Crazy right? Well, life taught me a lesson real quick. Those adjustments along with a lack of quality sleep for a few days caused me to crash- HARD. I was tired, hungry, physically and mentally worn out. I was also disappointed that although I had the will and determination to make it happen, my body had let me down. I conceded that I would have to set aside my goal date and do things moderately.

New strategy: A 25% caloric deficit based on my activity level for the day. In a nutshell, more or workout days, less on rest days. If I felt the need to go off plan and eat a little more on the odd day then I told myself I would do it. If social occasions or work outtings came up, I'd aim to enjoy them without guilt and try to eat fairly responsibly without getting consumed by the little speed bumps in weight loss along the way from them.

And you know what? Remarkably, the rate of weight loss isn't that much different. I had forgotten my own rule: that eating right and exercise should be part of my life, not my whole life. I feel better physically and mentally, and once again am enjoying the ride. I hope someone else out there considering an extreme deficit learns from my mistake. Moderation really, truly is key. Losing weight should enhance your life, not take it over.

tl;dr: Tried an extreme deficit. Hit a wall hard. Went back to a moderate deficit and activity level. Happier in every way. Don't be a deficit dummy like I was.

submitted by /u/LurG1975
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2HqjNEp

No comments:

Post a Comment