Saturday, May 25, 2019

Feel like I'm in a race with myself! (any other runners in here?)

Happy Scale is currently predicting that at my current rate of weight loss I'll reach my (initial) goal weight on June 12th.

https://imgur.com/RtuH9aX

On June 10th I'm running a 10k. And if you'd told me when I signed up for the race that I'd be almost at my goal weight on race day I would have laughed in your face - but here we are.

Of course now I've got a bit of a dilemma.

I've been doing various forms of IF since November, but recently started using the Fast 800 framework to speed things up a bit (low carb, Mediterranean based diet, ~800 calories per day). And it has worked, I've gone from losing .5 lbs per week to losing 1.4lbs per week - which I'm pretty stoked about. I could almost certainly get my weight down to 126 before race day, with a little extra focus and discipline. But obviously restricting carbs and calories that much isn't ideal groundwork for running a strong 10k.

I'm probably going to up my calories a bit, and reintroduce some more complex carbs into my diet over the next couple of weeks - which almost certainly means, at best, slowing down my weight loss, I might even gain weight with the extra water weight that carbs bring with them.

And even though I can easily rationalise that reaching my goal weight a few days, or maybe a few weeks later is no biggie (especially as I'm going to keep working on my weight and don't have a final goal weight in mind at the moment), part of me still wants that emotional fist pump of being able to see 126 on the scale the morning of the race.

Anyone else in here trying to balance weight loss goals with race/fitness goals of any type?

Some notes on my running: I'm not a fast runner at all, I've been running regularly since the beginning of 2019. This is my second 10k, I ran my first 6 years ago and my goal then was to not walk any of it, and not come last - which I succeeded at with a fleet-footed time of 1:32:15. This time my goal is to feel like I've run the best race I can. If I come close to 1hr 20 I'll be ecstatic, since I'm still on the wrong side of a 40min 5k PB :)

submitted by /u/ladyapocryphal
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2QwiZSV

No comments:

Post a Comment