Tuesday, May 7, 2019

I can deal with the physical sensation of hunger, but what are your strategies for dealing with "hanger" and "hanxiety" (if that's a thing)?

When I diet and exercise hard enough to actively lose weight, I get a little cranky and fidgety. It's like my body knows that it's starving, and it's increasing adrenaline levels so I'll run out into the woods, kill something, and eat it.

This is not productive in my day to day life. Those instincts might have served my ancient ancestors well when they were starving, but for my fat ass here in the 21st century, it just manifests as impatience and worry. I can deal with physical hunger all day long, but the change in mood is a real challenge.

It doesn't drop off much as I settle into it, either. I've stuck to diet and exercise programs with consistent progress for months in the past, and I was a little on edge pretty much the entire time. Whatever the specific cocktail of hormones and neurotransmitters may be, there's something about weight loss metabolism that just feels stressful.

I'm a couple months into a plan that I think is stable and sustainable, but this is one of the big obstacles I'm trying to navigate right now. I'm trying real hard not to be a dick basically all day, and laying awake in bed for way too long at night.

Does this happen to anyone else? How do you handle it?

submitted by /u/SoonToBeFormerFatso
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2LpNgUi

No comments:

Post a Comment