Monday, May 6, 2019

I don't know if I can do this in a healthy way.

(Potential Trigger Warning for eating disorders or disordered habits)

I am, decidedly, overweight. I have been okay with that for several years; I started recovering from a restrictive eating disorder five years ago, and during the recovery process, I gained a lot of weight. My priority, at the time and always, was freeing myself from the mental habits of restriction, and if I was personally only able to get there by being well overweight, it was a price I was willing to pay.

Now, I'm very recovered. It's five years later, and in those five years I haven't been tempted to restrict or go back to those habits. I feel free from all that, and I want to drop a little of the weight.

So I started--calorie logging, CICO, etc--and the pounds have been coming off, with that work, which is great.

The problem is, calorie logging is hard. Eating reasonable portions every day, building good habits and healthy ones, is hard. It's far, far easier, for me, to just not eat at all sometimes, and then when I do eat, not have to worry about the calories because even eating a whole plate will still be in my limit.

And I've been seeing results! And the results are far better and more consistent when I barely eat some times and eat whatever a lot of the time, rather than when I try to have three regular, small meals a day. Some people on Reddit might call this Intermittent Fasting, or One Meal a Day. But to me, it feels like avoiding the hard work of building good habits, and instead taking the easier route, which for me is dangerously close to restriction.

Does anyone have advice on moving towards what feels like a more balanced, but much harder, weight loss journey, rather than rely on something effective that I feel won't be sustainable for me?

submitted by /u/smalljean
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2WzFzfe

No comments:

Post a Comment