Sunday, May 12, 2019

Is weight loss really just simple math?

So I (22 F) weigh around 205 lbs at 5'6. I had recently started a weight loss regimen with regular diet and exercise, and it was going well. However, not too long ago, my mom was diagnosed with cancer. Thankfully, it was detected early enough that it is fully treatable and reversible. Nevertheless, this whole process has been emotionally devastating to my mom, and will continue to be for the next few months throughout her treatment and recovery.

That being said, I have been the sole source of support for my mom. I have taken over all of the house responsibilities and spend the majority of my day, every day, with her to get her through the various moodswings she goes through as well as to keep her in a positive and happy mindset.

Because of this, I find myself absolutely spent by the end of the day. When I finally get some time to myself, I just want to embroider or read or game or do some sort of activity that I actually enjoy. I just can't get myself to work out even though I know I should.

Most of my life it has been drilled into me by the people around me that working out is the ultimate tool for weight loss. That diet alone is useless if my lifestyle is mostly sedentary. I've also managed to lose weight in the past through a rigorous exercise routine and no calorie counting (just healthy food choices). So I've become worried and scared that exercise is the only answer and that without it I'm doomed.

I really want to lose weight. I start school in September, and I want to feel better about myself by the time I go, even if I know I won't be at my goal weight by then. I've calculated my BMR and am ready to properly count calories on my meals every day in order to lose weight through my diet, but I'm terribly worried that my current sedentary lifestyle and lack of exercise will cause me not to drop any pounds.

I've seen a few posts here saying that weight loss is just simple math, and that the variables in the equation can be adjusted to fit our needs as long as the end result is a significant enough caloric deficit. Is this really true? Can I really lose a significant amount of weight through diet changes/ calorie counting and nothing else, at least for now?

I plan to introduce exercise later on, but that will happen whenever my mom no longer needs my full attention, so it's a long ways away from right now. I'd really like to drop some weight before I go back to school in September. Can I do this through caloric deficit alone, even with a sedentary lifestyle? Any tips and suggestions would me wonderful as well. Thank you so much!

submitted by /u/Nutelladela
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2Yt3X2Z

No comments:

Post a Comment