Thursday, May 9, 2019

My vacation update

I just returned from a 2.5 week European vacation and had spent considerable amounts of time debating how to handle my weight loss journey before going. I’d searched this subreddit and saw advice ranging from eat all the things to try and estimate calories and eat clean as it’s a new lifestyle not a diet and practice making good choices. Many of the posters were taking extended weekends or a week of vacation. I was sure this length of vacation would undo months of hard work.

I finally landed on a mantra of if there’s food I would regret missing (croissants in France or chocolate in Belgium) then I would partake in these foods in reasonable quantities. I skipped meals if I wasn’t hungry or if it wasn’t special and just tried to eat intuitively. I walked as much as possible and took many opportunities to hike, climb ruins, and take the stairs. I ended up walking over 140 miles over the course of my vacation!

I knew from reading that travel also tends to make you retain water so a lot of advice says to wait a few days to weigh yourself, but in the past I’d reached my weight loss goal and didn’t want to step on the scale after I’d over indulged which lead to me gaining back all the weight. I stepped on the scale this morning just to get a sense of how bad the damage really was and to remove the mystery and fear. The scale says I’ve only gained 3 pounds which I’m hoping is mostly water. Even if it’s not, it adds just a couple of weeks to my final weight loss goal. I’m happy that I ate all the good things and got to enjoy wine and beer from small companies I may never try again. I have no regrets about how I handled my food and drink. I started walking, running, and hiking to prepare for the trip and my longest day had over 16.5 miles and I felt I could have kept going. My stamina has increased tremendously!!

I wanted to mention my one NSV during the trip as well. I had resigned myself to not purchasing any clothes because I heard that sizing is more limited than US sizing. However, the weather was colder and windier than I had expected so I set out to purchase a new coat and much to my surprise it fit!!

submitted by /u/Coffeewithmyair
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2WAiNnA

No comments:

Post a Comment