Sunday, May 5, 2019

Weight Loss Journey

Back in December, my girlfriend of five years broke up with me. We ended on good terms, it just got too hard doing the distance thing and not being able to see each other very often because of how busy both of us were with our school and social lives (I am a university student in the US). Anyways, after all of that happened, I got pretty depressed and decided that I needed to make some life changes to get back into the dating game (21M). I am 6'0" and at this point I was probably around 230 pounds, which is one of the heaviest I've ever been in my life, I think I topped out at 236 at some point. I looked at myself in the mirror, and told myself that I was done being fat.

I started working out with my roommate, who goes to the gym religiously. He got really into lifting in our first year of university, and never slowed down. He taught me different workouts, proper form and technique, and showed me a really cool app called Gravitus that logs your workouts for you, tells you when you get a new PR, etc. For me, this was one of the most important things because I started seeing progress. The past couple of years I have gone through cycles where I am really good about going to the gym for like a month, but I wasn't really seeing any results, so I would kind of get out of it and stop going. One of the things that I changed this time around was making going to the gym a priority and a part of my schedule, instead of just going at the end of the day or if I found time some other time during the day. This was huge for me because as soon as I started seeing results, I started to get excited to go to the gym every day and try to push myself to work harder.

A basic workout for me looks like this; 45-60 minutes of lifting (I do a rotation of push, pull, and legs) followed by 20-30 minutes of cardio (I love the stairmaster), and then finish it off with 10-15 minutes in the sauna. I also recently started doing IM fasting to limit my calorie intake, which is something that I have always struggled with for numerous reasons. Fast forward to today, I have lost over 20 pounds and on Friday I was down to 208 pounds! My clothes are fitting better than they ever have before, my stomach is shrinking, I've lost some inches on my waistline, and I feel amazing. Some of my friends/peers have been commenting on how I look recently and I have only heard great things which just motivates me even more to keep doing what I am doing.

My end goal is to break out of the 200 club and weigh the actual weight that I have on my driver's license (195 pounds). It has been a long yet rewarding journey, but I am nowhere close to being done. If there's anyone out there who is struggling or needs a little extra motivation, just know that it is mind over matter and that you can do it. Thank you to all of the inspiring people who shared their stories on here and finally gave me the confidence to tell my own.

submitted by /u/dirtyvic5
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2DPa1L7

No comments:

Post a Comment