Sunday, May 5, 2019

How Can I Help My Boyfriend?

Hi! We've been together for 6 years and my boyfriend has always struggled with being overweight. We both are on a mission to become healthier, which includes shedding some pounds for him, but it is really difficult for him. He has started going to the gym regularly and we hike and bike together, but his real issue lies in the quantity of food he eats. Although he eats a wide variety of often healthy foods, he eats massive portions and if there is food in front of him, he struggles to stop eating.

Food is a big part of his life. He loves to cook and try new foods and restaurants. He loves shows like Chef's Table and Binging with Babish.

Additionally, all of those in his immediate family (parents, siblings) are overweight and, from what I have seen of their interactions, use food as a sort of currency or means of affection.

So, controlling his eating hasn't worked out too well for him so far.

He has asked me to help keep him accountable and point out when he is eating too much. Basically, he wants me to be his food coach. And I so I want to be supportive of him and help him help himself. But I am not totally comfortable with this arrangement and it isn't working. I don't feel like I have the expertise to do that, and I think it puts a strain on us when I constantly get on his case and play the bad cop. He often brushes off or ignores my suggestions anyways and give all sorts of justifications for it.

We've shared some weight-loss articles and videos with each other, we keep this dialogue about food (and other healthy goals) going. But it hasn't gotten us very far.

I am looking for some sort of resrouce that can help with this sort of struggle. Or, if anyone has had similar experiences either with helping their SO (or being the SO) with eating and weight loss trouble.

submitted by /u/lilyspaniel
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2UZzO9m

No comments:

Post a Comment