Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Will power and discipline leaking into other facets of my life.

So I have been on my current journey for 10 months now, down 33 lbs. I was thinking today about how much more productive I have been at work and at home lately, and suddenly, it hit me. There is not some magic "motivation fairy" that drops by to bless you with the will to get more done. The same basic skills I've been honing for weight loss are now delightfully spilling into the other facets of my life. The ones that I think are most translational are:

1) Delayed gratification. The same mind muscle is used when I think "save you calories for a snack later" that says, "you can surf the internet on your lunch break, no need to waste time now.

2) Discipline. This one is harder for me to express but I now have the ability to convince what I call my "lizard brain" to stop some behavior that feels good in the moment but is counterproductive to my goals.

3) Grit. Mentally working through times when things aren't working. Water weight hiding progress or experiments not working (I'm in graduate school) no longer put me in a downward spiral because I have to accept that both grad school and weight loss are marathons, not sprints.

So all of this to say that practicing good habits has not only made my weight loss steady (if slow) but also has added positive side effects!

What are some habits/skills you've been honing for weight loss that you've noticed affecting your "real life?"

submitted by /u/lhrycyniak
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2Ht8I5y

No comments:

Post a Comment