Thursday, November 21, 2019

Am I an asshole for not wanting to talk to someones child about their weight to try to “inspire” them?

TLDR: my friends boss asked me to try and talk his teenage son into losing weight. I didn’t feel comfortable so i said no. Now i feel like an asshole. Am i an asshole?

I would like to start by saying I’ve lost 125lbs in the last 2 years and have managed to get to a normal BMI. It was and still to this day is the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Its true what they say, the real weight loss journey doesn’t start until your “finished” and its time to maintain,

So, yesterday i get a phone call. It was my friends boss who i have known for a while now. He told me that he was worried about his teenage sons weight, I’m not exactly sure how old he is i think somewhere around 12 or 13. Anyway, his father called me and expressed his concern and asked me if i could talk to his son and maybe try to “motivate” him to lose weight.

I completely froze up when he asked me this. I didn’t know what to say.

I thought for a minute and said “ _________, look man it means a lot to me that you see me as someone who could potentially inspire your son to make life changes but i am really not comfortable bringing up a young persons weight nor do i think i have all the correct information he would need. I am very sorry.

The main reason i didn’t want to do it was because before i had my “click moment “ i was in denial. I couldn’t stand when people talked about my weight. I didn’t change until I wanted to change. I had doctors, friends and family tell me my weight was getting out of control but it didn’t matter because i wouldn’t listen to them until i was ready.

My other big concern was i do not even know this kid. The last thing i want to do is make him depressed about his looks or health or to damage the relationship between him and his father.

He understood and appreciated that i thought about it for a minute and thanked me. That was the end of the conversation.

Its been 3 days since i talked to him and i cant help but feel like an asshole. Did i do the right thing? Why cant i stop thinking about it?

Im curious, what would you have done?

submitted by /u/plainjane187
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2rhR1Bq

No comments:

Post a Comment