Tuesday, November 19, 2019

How my weight loss became a catalyst for a job promotion

Ive had joint pain in my right foot for a few years now. Ive been to countless doctors and the best I got was “Idk , maybe it’s swelling caused by an unknown source”. Not a single doctor recommended weight loss. The pain had gotten so bad I was unable to walk through the store with out taking a break. My pain caused me to live my life from the sidelines. I couldn’t do sports. I switched to working a desk job. I avoided simple thing like squatting or driving because of the pressure it put on my foot.

January first is when I took responsibility for my life. I was obese, I was depressed, I had no hobbies and my joints hurt so bad I couldn’t walk more then a few hundred feet.

I started swimming because it’s zero impact. I fell in love with that hour of quiet. The water was cool, I could clear my mind, and I always felt better about my self after a workout.

Soon I picked up kayaking and bicycling with my husband. Still low/no impact on my foot. It’s been great! We get out in nature. Enjoy the peacefulness of the lake or the smell of the trees as we ride by.

One day I noticed that I had made it through the grocery store without stopping. And in general, I hadn’t complained about my foot for a while. So I started doing more physical work; Weight lifting, hiking, and putting in manual labor hours at my bosses house after work.

Normally I do cold calls for the guy, Im one of the top producers. But slowly Ive become his “ranch hand”. Feeding the animals. Basic repairs here and there. Taking care of the animals. Yard work, ripping out bushes/trees. My husband and I built him a pool enclosure. I just finished laying fencing around his 6 acre property. And now we’re starting to build covering for his deck.

Yesterday, the owner comes up to me. He complimented my work ethic. He said that most the people that come over to help, don’t complete half the stuff I do. He said he’s impressed that I do so much heavy lifting “as a woman “. He says he’s creating a new department for the company and he wants me to manage it.

Im very excited and grateful for the opportunity. My weight loss journey has had so many serendipities along the way. Its improved my mental health. Ive gained hobbies. Ive met new friends to enjoy those hobbies with. My marriage has flourished. Ive lost pain that crippled my life and now my job is getting better too.

Its interesting how much life I gained when I lost some weight.

What are some of the serendipities that have come along on your journey?

submitted by /u/Harveyquinn6
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2rbTBZJ

No comments:

Post a Comment