Saturday, November 2, 2019

Left the 200 club today!

20M 5'11, SW: 215, CW: 199, GW: 190

Hi all! I'm a longtime lurker of this sub, and I just want to say it really inspires me seeing all of your progress and victories. (TLDR at bottom)

I've had a not-so-great relationship with my weight for about four years. I started to gain a lot in my junior and senior year of high school. I lived in England, so I attribute it to a lot of beer, cider, and fish and chips, as well as not working out like I used to. At my highest, I think I weighed 239 (I didn't like stepping on scales, so my only reference is doctor's appointments).

When I moved back to the States for college, I tried to shed the weight, but couldn't stick to a routine. I think I ended my first summer weighing 230, but I don't think that was because of a conscious effort as much as it was just not being able to drink/eat out like I used to.

I moved out of dorms and into an apartment my sophomore year. I had a new job, so food was easier to acquire; however, I tried to use grocery shopping to my advantage. Trying became half assing, I finished sophomore year at 225. Again, I don't feel like I actually worked for that weight loss.

So this summer, I finally got serious about my weight loss, and counted calories and tried different diets. First I did keto, cause my mom got great results, but I had a hard time staying away from bread and potatoes. So then I experimented with intermittent fasting, and that's when I first noted progress. I was trying to follow the 16:8 rule, but I also worked in a kitchen and worked late, so my biggest hurdle was eating throughout the shift and after getting home. I, again, fell back on old habits frequently, but I ended this summer at 215.

I call 215 my starting weight, because that was the first log in my MyFitnessPal account. That's when I actually paid more attention to calories, macros, and excercise. I am currently living with my parents (roommate left his job and told me last minute he couldn't afford another lease). They are a LOT better at grocery shopping than I was, and are good about keeping plenty of healthy snacks, veggies, and lean meats stocked. We all also love to cook, so there are a lot more leftovers and a lot less need to meal prep like I used to. When I move out with my gf, I feel like I have a lot more of a reason to be smart about groceries.

My parents and I also take lots of walks together, and my dad and I like to jog once or twice a week (thanks C25k!).

But anyway, after downloading MFP, I really feel like I finally took control of my weight. I made my routine work with my school, my new job (left the kitchen), and my dates with my SO. And I am really happy about where I am, and where I'm going to be. The goal is 190 by my birthday in January, and then afterwards I want to work on weight training, and putting on 5-7 pounds of muscle. The future looks bright, friends.

My biggest advice: 1. Drink more water! Specifically, drink some whenever you feel hungry, or before and after a meal/snack. 2. Set a time and place for a meal. This helped me because I don't think as hard about "Should I eat out? Should I eat now?" I have a couple chunks of time in between classes that are perfect for me, and I eat lunch that I brought far away from the restaurants, and closer to my next class. Outta site outta mind. 3. I learned this from a book I read called Atomic Habits. Your habits are ultimately like votes for yourself and your identity. Meaning that if you slip up and don't stick to a habit one day, it's okay...as long as there are more "votes" for your ideal goal than there are votes otherwise. So if you mess up, don't throw in a towel, instead make a conscious effort to make it right next time.

TLDR: Couldn't stick to a weight loss routine for 4 years. Moved back in with parents for economic situation, had better food to eat, parents to take me on walks, and a routine that works with my class schedule and my work schedule.

submitted by /u/_rawnerves
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2oEcIL9

No comments:

Post a Comment