Tuesday, November 12, 2019

My Journey So Far

Hey all. I've been following this sub for a while but never really posted anything. I just kind of want to share what all I've done/been doing in hopes that it could maybe help someone.

TLDR: I'm actually losing weight successfully for the first time in my life.

I started the year around 226 (I am a 5'4" 18 year old female) and that was just not great. I was still wearing all the clothes I had but had to buy a size up as I had gained almost 50 pounds after graduating/moving out and going to college. I had actually invested in a nicely sized wardrobe around 175/180 and literally none of that fit after about four months.

I spent a lot of my time in the biggest shirts I had and squeezing into clothing because I really didn't want to buy new stuff as most of my money went to rent and my car. Around February or so I used keto to get down to about 193 and then stopped due to just not caring. I stayed around 193 and then went back up to 202 around June of this year. I've always been somewhat overweight but when I was at 226 it was not great, I didn't really notice being that heavy but looking back on it now I was really unhealthy and dear god my eating habits were a mess.

Fast forward to October and I'm looking into joining the military. I choose the army for a number of reasons, and go into the recruiting office.Everything is going all well and stuff and then suddenly she asks to weigh me and I remember that I am definitely overweight and not in weight standards for enlistment. Anyway, we weigh me and I'm still 202. She just tells me I have to lose weight and sends me off to see me in two weeks.

I initially started this round of weight loss with just CICO but that didn't work super great for me. I would count calories on food that wasn't necessarily super nutrient dense, leaving me hungry and wanting to binge. There is no doubt in my mind that I have some variation of binge-eating disorder so this didn't work great for me. I went back to keto and lose about 10 pounds the first two weeks.

Things were all good, but then my weight stalled and I felt like a failure. I don't work out a lot as it is the last stretch for school and I work upwards of 50 hours a week at two jobs, but I was eating in keto and I didn't understand why my weight had plateaued. One day when I was watching keto videos I heard something on a video and realized something: I'm not counting my calories. Oh boy was that a mistake.

Not counting calories was literally the death of my diet. I lost enough but after it stopped I realized something was up. I started counting calories and I literally went down 5 more pounds in the first week, from 193 lbs. Counting calories has actually worked a lot better for me, along with the keto diet. The thing to remember here is that no matter what diet you're on, you can always still gain weight due to calorie surplus.

I've struggled with my body image/weight/eating habits for almost six years now, but this time I have finally been able to continually keep up with the process and I actually feel a lot better about food and my weight in general. I think maybe for me it was having a goal, because I literally cannot go into the army without losing weight and that is something that I really want to do. I'm just so happy I've been able to actually follow through and make a good dent in my weight loss journey in such a short time.

That said, my clothes are actually loose now, and I can fit into the clothes I bought back in high school. Being able to wear and completely button a shirt I literally couldn't fit into at the beginning of the year feels just so great, and even my smallest pair of pants is a little too big. I still have about 35 pounds to lose to get enlisted and 55 to my end goal, but everyday I feel closer and closer to success and I am so happy I can finally say I am losing weight.

I listen to the r/loseit subreddit readings a lot on YouTube as well as often browsing this subreddit and it has really helped me push myself in the right direction. I can't wait to get where I need to be and get what I want to get done done.

Thank you all for being so awesome, supportive, and proactive in other people's weight loss journeys. And those of you who are newer here, welcome, you can do this, and we're all here for you.

submitted by /u/psychadeliceggs
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2rHrLVP

No comments:

Post a Comment