Friday, November 15, 2019

Your weight isn't the problem - it's just a symptom of the actual problem

TL;DR at the bottom. I'm writing this because it's something I see a lot here, it's something I had to wrap my head around when I started losing weight and it's actually the reason I failed to lose weight when I was ~15. Your weight isn't the problem here, the real problem is your lifestyle - something about your lifestyle promotes weight gain.

For example, I've been gaining weight steadily since I was like 10 years old and through those years I was constantly skipping P.E. I never went out to exercise with friends, I stayed at home most of the time playing video games, I would eat entire multi-packs of crisps on a daily/weekly basis, I never ate fruit or vegetables - I was all about the pizza. The point is my lifestyle was all about over eating, eating all the wrong stuff and never exercising. That is a lifestyle that promotes weight gain.

So what's my lifestyle like now? Well I've been going to the gym semi-consistently for a few months, I've cut out all the unhealthy snacks and I've started to work on my nutrition so that my meals are more filling and overall healthier. My lifestyle is far from perfect, and I do hope to improve it further but currently my lifestlye is promoting weight loss.

The real way to lose weight is to change your lifestyle into one that promotes weight loss, and eventually maintenance at your goal weight. How to achieve that is different for everyone and it's something you'll have to experiment with to do so. Weight loss is simple, be in a caloric deficit. All those "fad diets" do work, the problem is they don't make you deconstruct your lifestyle that promotes weight gain. You need to make small, manageable changes that you could do forever, let them develop into habits and eventually they will become part of your lifestyle.

Don't get me wrong, there are things that affect your weight that can be out of your control. Lots of people here suffer from medical conditions, mental health issues and disabilities that put you at an unfair position - I'm not trying to talk down to you. This post is just about tackling the mentality of "dieting", "losing weight quickly", "all or nothing" and things like that. Essentially things that will make the number on the scale go down temporarily but rarely lead to permanent change.

I believe in you all. I didn't used to believe in myself but now I think I can do anything (within reason lol). Be excellent to each other!

TL;DR: The real problem is your lifestyle, as it is currently promoting weight gain. Any old diet will work as long as you are in a caloric deficit but the only way to keep the weight off, is to develop a lifestyle that first promotes weight loss, and then weight maintenance at your goal weight. This is unique for everyone but try to make small, meaningful but manageable changes; develop into habits and eventually they will become your healthy lifestyle.

submitted by /u/chrisd848
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/378HFIT

No comments:

Post a Comment