Friday, December 13, 2019

A rant (or more likely ramble)- I keep gaining weight

Apologies in advance for the wall of text, I just wanted to share my frustrations!

I have been trying to lose weight in anticipation of my upcoming wedding next year. I wanted to start gently and ease my way into it, as I had plenty of time before the wedding and have previously had an eating disorder. I started just trying to encourage healthy habits by focusing on eating foods I’d prepped rather than purchasing whilst at work, started cycling to work and weight training. And I cut out alcohol. Over 12 weeks doing this I saw my weight climb 5lb- which I’m very sure is not just muscle from the way my clothes didn’t fit as well as they used to any more.

I realized that I was very likely eating too much, and not eating enough of the right macronutrients. I had to tackle my fear of tracking my food. Through my previous therapy as treatment for my eating disorder I had successfully totally dissociated the food I ate from the way I looked and felt- now I had to find a balanced way to ensure I was fueling my body correctly without taking a disordered approach. I initially tried tracking and very quickly realised I now found it way too boring and monotonous to maintain the habit. Then I had an idea... why not combine intermittent fasting, with all its touted benefits for metabolism and aging with CICO. I would have less meals so less to track and get less bored. Perfect!

This has worked fantastically. I’m much less hungry than I used to be. I religiously track everything I eat & drink without feeling obsessive about it. One unanticipated side effect is that with the shift work I do I often don’t have time for breaks or get a chance to eat when planned. And sometimes to be honest I’m just too tired to even make the effort find something to eat. There have been days I’ve only had time to eat 800 calories, even though I’ve exercised and been on my feet all day at work. Sure there are also days when I go over my 1400 calorie target, but not so over that I should be gaining weight. Last week for example I was 2500 calories under my 3500 calorie deficit- almost doubling my expected weight loss (in theory of course)

I’ve exercised less during this time admittedly- Sydney has had terrible air quality due to bushfire smoke meaning I’vs stopped cycling and walking places. However I have started a new exercise class in the meantime and it is the hardest exercise I’ve ever done. I’ve never been someone who sweats before- until I get to this class. I’ll burn about 600 calories in 50 minutes and I’m sure a fair amount after too given the intensity of the exercise. And the endorphins afterwards make me feel on top of the world and eager to do it again.

So, overall, when I finally got the chance to weigh myself this morning after 3 weeks of intermittent fasting, CICO and this new class, I had pretty high hopes for finally-finally! seeing the scale budge in the right direction. I really felt I had earned at least a 1lb loss.

Well, I’ve gained 2lbs. That means I’ve gained 7lb in not even 4 months. Whilst actively making changes to do the opposite. I’m so frustrated and angry and a bit confused. It is taking a lot of self control not to just eat whatever I want whenever I want like I was doing before. Please if anyone has gone through something similar, stuck to their plan and seen results I would really appreciate your words of wisdom! Or generally any feedback and advice- I would greatly appreciate it. The only thing keeping me going is knowing I’m healthier and happier due to the exercise- I have PCOS and exercise seems to improve my symptoms. I just wish I could wrap my head around the weight gain as I’m clearly doing something wrong!

TLDR: I’ve gained 7lb in 15 weeks of trying to engage in a healthy weight loss lifestyle. Please send help.

Edit: a word

submitted by /u/Floofius_Maximus
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2EdaJ4y

No comments:

Post a Comment